Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I had a beach ball and i deflated it as much as i could. theni tried

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    i had a beach ball and i deflated it as much as i could. theni tried to open it after i closed the opening. i couldnt. why and what would happen if i pulled on it from lots of sides?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2005 #2
    If you sucked out all the air from it and shut it, then tried to pull out the sides, the pressure due to the atmosphere would make it extremely difficult to do so, since the pressure inside drops as you try to expand the volume. You are basically inducing a vacuumous (is that a word?) region.

4. May 23, 2005 #3
    Yes whozum is right.

Basically, when you are sucking air from it as much as you can, you are trying to create the conditions for vacuum.As the air leaves the ball , the pressure inside keeps on reducing and as a result it ends up getting so less that it possibly cannot counter the outside pressure and will no even "open a bit" unless you induce some air back into it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?