I hate chemistry Hate it Hate it Hate it

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: I know you did fine. The problem is that in this case, the instructor is the 'customer' --- not you, the student. That is, if the teacher is comfortable with the text, they'll teach from it better, and all of their students will get better grades, and the chairperson will see that the students do well, and keep the instructor around next year, too. So, as long as the teacher is somewhat adaptable, the text is good enough. In summary, the conversation is about multiple individuals expressing their dislike and struggles with chemistry. Some question whether their dislike is due to their lack of understanding or vice versa. Others share their personal experiences with chemistry and suggest different approaches or
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What I can't figure out is: do I hate it because I suck at it? Or do I suck at it because I hate it? :grumpy:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
either? both? its an ugly circle.

I know.. I know.. welcome to my pity party. Maybe I am being a big baby about this, but I got a 78 on my first test. waaa waaa waaaa! :cry: :cry: :cry: I can't make a C. I never make C's. I don't even make B's!

What ? You don't make a C with 78...is that out of 100 or 5000 ? :eek:

You may be a "victim" of the textbook companies --- your age group vs. what's currently fashionable for introductory chem texts? Try the library for some nice, dull, unillustrated texts from the 50s or early 60s --- Dull, Metcalfe, and Williams comes to mind --- give you a different viewpoint or slant on the thinking. Won't get you up to speed on the biotech revolution, but you aren't committed to a doctoral program in biochem at this point.

Likes gracy
Math Is Hard said:
What I can't figure out is: do I hate it because I suck at it? Or do I suck at it because I hate it? :grumpy:

Along these lines...for me it's cooking : I hate it (the act, not the idea) and I suck at it. :grumpy:

Haven't yet figured out the cause and effect, either :uhh:

:grumpy:I hate chemistry! Hate it! Hate it! Hate it!
Me too. Me too. Me too! :grumpy:

Nice party, MIH. Where's the chocolate? :rofl:

Calm down, Math is Hard. Is Chemistry your main subject? If not, just take it easy.

What a coincidence it is though...I just had my GCE Cambridge O-Level Practical Chemistry exam a few hours ago. I think I blew it. I did not test positive for oxygen gas after adding Hydrogen Peroxide to an unknown solution (it was green in colour) with Sodium Hydroxide.

Some of you will recall from a [URL [Broken] thread[/URL] that I'm scared of Bunsen Burners. I'm glad to say that I managed to light the Bunsen Burner without hurting myself or anyone in the vicinity, and without screaming too! I'm also very happy with my luck because no heating was required and I only needed the Bunsen Burner to light a splint to test for Oxygen gas. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
well i hate chemistry too,
reason: every chemistry teacher i know sucks! they are all stuped and doesn't accept arguments .. all you have to do is taking chemistry and memorize it by heart! i didn't go to a chemistry lab ever!

I don't like Chemistry too. As opposed to Mathematics and Physics, Chemistry is a big mystery to beginners like me. For example, I don't yet understand what causes the colour changes when you perform Qualitative Analysis. There is no logical explanation to it, so I actually have to memorise everything in Chemistry. Fe2+ ions causes green precipitate to form in Sodium Hydroxide, Fe3+ ions produces brown precipitate, and so forth...

I'm really sorry you're so unhappy with your grade, MIH. I wish I knew how I could help you get your mind into the proper 'mode' to think about chemistry, you know? :wink:
If you think about it, tho - chemistry is really pretty easy. See, if it doesn't move, and it's supposed to, mix up some epoxy! TA DA! Fixed! Conversely, if it doesn't move, and it should, give it some WD40! TA DA! Same thing! :biggrin: Cool, huh? That's Chemistry! :approve:

Tsunami said:
I'm really sorry you're so unhappy with your grade, MIH. I wish I knew how I could help you get your mind into the proper 'mode' to think about chemistry, you know? :wink:
If you think about it, tho - chemistry is really pretty easy. See, if it doesn't move, and it's supposed to, mix up some epoxy! TA DA! Fixed! Conversely, if it doesn't move, and it should, give it some WD40! TA DA! Same thing! :biggrin: Cool, huh? That's Chemistry! :approve:

Actually that's Applied Super-Glue vs Apllied Super-Lube Theory. :rofl:

I really liked chamistry last year. But this year it sucks new teacher new style of work a lot more homework :frown: .

I agree. Chemistry sucks.

Thanks for listening to me whine. You cheered me up. It's just one of those classes I have to get through, and I only have to take one chem class for my major, thank goodness!

Honestly all you physicists should take a course on physical chemistry, i.e. chemical physics, you would reallly like it. Its funny that I majored in math and chemistry, instead of math and physics. Chem doesn't get interesting until you get past all the introductory stuff. The other good thing about chemistry is that it really is the only science that pays a decent amount of money if you choose a career in it as opposed to physics, biology, and mathematics.

Bystander said:
You may be a "victim" of the textbook companies --- your age group vs. what's currently fashionable for introductory chem texts? Try the library for some nice, dull, unillustrated texts from the 50s or early 60s --- Dull, Metcalfe, and Williams comes to mind --- give you a different viewpoint or slant on the thinking. Won't get you up to speed on the biotech revolution, but you aren't committed to a doctoral program in biochem at this point.

That's so interesting that you said that. My textbook is subtitled "A Project of the American Chemical Society" and I always had this uneasy feeling that there was some hidden agenda they're trying to get across. The text seems to assume that people are coming into the course with the assumption that chemistry/chemicals/chemists are bad. It's like they are trying to undo some pre-conceived associations of "organic=good" and "synthetic = bad".

Recon, I bet you did better than you thought. I am going to get you some reallllllly long matches and ear plugs so you can light that bunsen burner without fear.

You know what Tsu, I think we need a treat. I'll go down to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory at lunchtime and bring back some peanut butter fudge and some chocolate-dipped slices of cheesecake-on-a-stick and some of those extra-decadent caramel apples that are decorated with drizzled chocolate and marshmallows. I'll bring back enough for everyone in this thread! :approve: Gokul, I will pick up some maple truffles for you. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
That's so interesting that you said that. My textbook is subtitled "A Project of the American Chemical Society" and I always had this uneasy feeling that there was some hidden agenda they're trying to get across. The text seems to assume that people are coming into the course with the assumption that chemistry/chemicals/chemists are bad. It's like they are trying to undo some pre-conceived associations of "organic=good" and "synthetic = bad".

Ha ha. I'd like to see how students react when the book gets to the chapter on Synthetic Organic Chemistry :uhh:

For a second there, I thought your book was titled "Project for the New American Century":eek: ...but eventually, I recovered...yes, upon reading of the promise of chocolate.

Yeah! And those maple truffles are KILLER. :biggrin:

I hated chemistry, too. I liked the laboratory part ok, but the classroom part was absolutely maddening. It didn't even seem like we were doing science, what with there being more exceptions than rules ("Silicon only bonds with 4 partners, except when it doesn't, like in these 143 cases. Memorize them.") At least that's how I remember it.

But, ever being the optimist, I decided to leave chemistry on a "high note", so my last course in it was a grad course called Quantum Chemistry. The professor was a theoretical chemist and kept saying that the Schrodinger equation is one of the most important equations in chemistry. I resisted the urge to raise my hand and tell him that it's the Schrodinger equation that makes chemistry a branch of physics. :cool:

:yuck: Chemistry, ahhhhhh! :yuck:
I never really liked the labs that much except for where we made things burn! :devil: But the thing I actually found interesting were also the things the teacher never wanted to discuss except possibly after class, but I had other things to do. I always found it interesting trying to figure out what happens when you hit an undefined spot in the equation and all the other ways equations didn't really work and were just an approximation. :confused:
But it was an introductory course and every so often I'ld go in and ask a question, like what would actually happen if you got a super conductor down to absolute zero, would it actually heat up again. In the normal class I slept :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: or finished up my homework for another class. I actually had fun with some parts but the calculations of moles over and over and over again really got to me.

Tom Mattson said:
I hated chemistry, too. I liked the laboratory part ok, but the classroom part was absolutely maddening. It didn't even seem like we were doing science, what with there being more exceptions than rules ("Silicon only bonds with 4 partners, except when it doesn't, like in these 143 cases. Memorize them.") At least that's how I remember it.

It reminds me of when I was learning about the multiple exceptions in different oxidation states and also the funky orbital notations for the transition metals :yuck:. At least I didn't have to remember the electronegativity and ionic radius for all elements.

It also doesn't help when the donation/acceptance definitions of acids and bases tend to conflict (such as Bronsted Lowry and Arrheneus versus the odd Lewis acids/bases).

Math Is Hard said:

(snip)

Ah-hah --- "PC Chemistry," Woodsy Owl and Ralph Nader --- that explains a lot. The ACS as a professional organization has a pretty mixed record; done some good things, done some bad things, and hosted a lot of meetings, schmooze sessions, and what-not. Getting involved in instruction beyond the establishment of criteria for accrediting curricula is one of the bad things.

The number of people who do a good job teaching general chem to non-majors is orders of magnitude less than the number of chemists in the world; the more common categories of instruction follow the "pearls before swine" style, the everyone should be a chemist approach (better than a kick in the teeth --- at least they're interested), the "I'm so much more intelligent than you, you couldn't possibly understand this material," and the "I hate being stuck with a non-major service course(I really don't give a sh!t if they learn anything or not). Unfortunately, textbook authorship has shifted into the same sort of distribution of qualities. Chemists don't really know what chemistry is, what it has done for the world, what it hasn't, what it can, and what it can't --- the five things that should be emphasized for non-majors. God knows I'm sorry.

Tom Mattson said:

But, ever being the optimist, I decided to leave chemistry on a "high note", so my last course in it was a grad course called Quantum Chemistry. The professor was a theoretical chemist and kept saying that the Schrodinger equation is one of the most important equations in chemistry.

and, one of the most useless. Chemistry is all about interactions of a minimum of three bodies. C'mon, Tom, you're the QM guru, give us the first ionization of He from first principles. The "143 exceptions" are part of the working vocabulary that serves to bridge the gap between Schrodinger and the real world. They aren't exceptions to physical laws, just exceptions to the rules of thumb that have to serve as substitutes --- the physicists haven't worked out any useful approach to the three-body problem for us.
I resisted the urge to raise my hand and tell him that it's the Schrodinger equation that makes chemistry a branch of physics.

or, maybe it subordinates physics to chemistry ---- hmmmm. Let's see --- do more physicists hate chemistry than chemists hate physics, or do a larger percentage of physicists have difficulty with chem courses than chemists with physics courses. Maybe this needs a poll --- nah.

Likes gracy
Books are not comics to have a plenty of photos. I love books physics books like Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, or Goldstein's Classical Mechanics... because they explains the things, with words, with concepts, with math. Not with MSPAINT images.

Ah, I don't like chemistry, its very... (I can't find the correct word to describe it in english)

MiGUi said:
Ah, I don't like chemistry, its very... (I can't find the correct word to describe it in english)

I can't either. Well said, MiGUi! :smile:

But I have decided to end my suffering. I switched to "audit status" instead of "for letter grade" credit. I'll just sit in the lectures and soak up what I can and then take it for credit another time.

Bystander said:
and, one of the most useless. Chemistry is all about interactions of a minimum of three bodies.

The "143 exceptions" are part of the working vocabulary that serves to bridge the gap between Schrodinger and the real world. They aren't exceptions to physical laws, just exceptions to the rules of thumb that have to serve as substitutes --- the physicists haven't worked out any useful approach to the three-body problem for us.

Of course, after the first day the Q-Chem Prof made that clear. After the first 3 weeks, we spent the entire semester studying approximations to the many-body problem.

or, maybe it subordinates physics to chemistry ---- hmmmm. Let's see --- do more physicists hate chemistry than chemists hate physics, or do a larger percentage of physicists have difficulty with chem courses than chemists with physics courses. Maybe this needs a poll --- nah.

Lighten up. Whenever I post in General Discussion, I am goofing off. That much should be clear from my tongue-in-cheek tone, and from the smilies.
:biggrin:

My teacher knew how to deal with the many-body problem. At first there were 42 bodies in the class - and that means a lot of papers to grade. So she gave a really hard test. Now we're down to only 15 bodies! :rofl:

That's one smart teacher! :rofl:

So... I shouldn't take chemistry?

This thread is damaging my excitement towards taking Chemistry next term. From my exposure to basic Physics and Chemistry in Science, and from taking Physics now, I'm assuming Introductory Chemistry is more exciting than Introductory Physics.

Chemistry has the formula equalization (or whatever it's called) with the shifting of things to make a match. That was cool.

Physics so far is word problems, find a then use ma to find Fnet then use Fnet to find Ff. It's formula after formula without any deep concepts so far. - I refer to the concepts as not deep because they seem easy to grasp when they are already there with explanations. I know I never could've came up with any of Newton's laws.

I think people either love or hate chem. I just happen to be in the latter category.

JasonRox said:
So... I shouldn't take chemistry?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have never taken chemistry in my life, and I'll be taking University Level next term.

I have the option not to, but there aren't many other options.

"Physics so far is word problems, find a then use ma to find Fnet then use Fnet to find Ff. "

Basic mechanics is not all Physics, dear. You should take a look on thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and so and so and so.

If you study Chemistry, you would notice that for important things, you will use Physics: a bit of thermodynamics for heat, and so and a little of quantum theory to explain the atomic structure.

The mathematic level needed to do this is sooooooooooooooooooooooo low.

Honestly, take a course in Physical Chemistry or theoretical Chemistry and say that the mathematical level needed to do chemistry is low.