Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I HATE geometrical optics

1. I Abhor it!

2. I'm satan and I love it!

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    do you hate it to?

note this is not an anonymous ballet in case someone votes the second option so that i can berate them.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2
    I hated optics because I vague knew what it was about. But my attitude changed when I took the class. I became fascinated quickly and developed a special appreciation for optics. Geometrical optics is just a basis for the really cool stuff. Like quasi-optics explores the use of optics for millimeter wavelengths. Yes you can use lenses as an antenna for microwaves.
    Then the new frontiers of optics delve into negative index of refraction, superlens, and invisibility. So gotta draw those ray diagrams. Neat, neat stuff.
  4. Sep 27, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Geometrical Optics is a beautiful subject.
    It provides a great example of the Principle of Least Action.
  5. Sep 27, 2007 #4
    i curse hecht's mother for giving birth to him, him for publishing his book on optics, and my teacher for picking it.
  6. Sep 27, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd get Hecht in almost every optics class anywhere in the world such is his brilliance. :devil:
  7. Sep 27, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hecht is the saviour - you have a copy of Hecht on your desk disguised with the cover from Playboy or sheep-fanciers-monthly on it, while pretending to read Born and Wolff.
  8. Sep 27, 2007 #7
  9. Sep 27, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Sep 27, 2007 #9
    ha the authorization key was symmetrical

ha that's a graduate text i think, i've never even used the gamma function before
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?