Do You Find Geometrical Optics Frustrating?

In summary, Hecht's book is a dense read with a lot of math. However, the author's brilliance is evident in the subject matter.

Do you hate geometrical optics?

• Total voters
ice109
do you hate it to?

note this is not an anonymous ballet in case someone votes the second option so that i can berate them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hated optics because I vague knew what it was about. But my attitude changed when I took the class. I became fascinated quickly and developed a special appreciation for optics. Geometrical optics is just a basis for the really cool stuff. Like quasi-optics explores the use of optics for millimeter wavelengths. Yes you can use lenses as an antenna for microwaves.
Then the new frontiers of optics delve into negative index of refraction, superlens, and invisibility. So got to draw those ray diagrams. Neat, neat stuff.

Geometrical Optics is a beautiful subject.
It provides a great example of the Principle of Least Action.

robphy said:
Geometrical Optics is a beautiful subject.
It provides a great example of the Principle of Least Action.

i curse hecht's mother for giving birth to him, him for publishing his book on optics, and my teacher for picking it.

You'd get Hecht in almost every optics class anywhere in the world such is his brilliance. :devil:

Hecht is the saviour - you have a copy of Hecht on your desk disguised with the cover from Playboy or sheep-fanciers-monthly on it, while pretending to read Born and Wolff.

robphy said:
http://www.ams.org/online_bks/surv14/surv14-chIII.pdf
"Geometrics Optics" chapter
[I haven't fully read through it yet... but it looks beautiful.]

ha the authorization key was symmetrical

ha that's a graduate text i think, I've never even used the gamma function before

Last edited:

What is geometrical optics?

Geometrical optics is a branch of physics that deals with the propagation of light and its interaction with objects, using the principles of geometry and mathematics.

Why do some people hate geometrical optics?

Some people may find geometrical optics to be challenging or difficult to understand due to the use of complex mathematical equations and concepts.

What are some common applications of geometrical optics?

Geometrical optics has various practical applications, including designing optical instruments such as lenses, mirrors, and microscopes, as well as in industries such as laser technology, photography, and telecommunications.

How is geometrical optics different from other branches of optics?

Geometrical optics is different from other branches of optics, such as physical optics and quantum optics, because it focuses on the macroscopic behavior of light, rather than the microscopic or wave-like properties of light.

What are some resources for learning more about geometrical optics?

There are many resources available for learning about geometrical optics, including textbooks, online lectures, and educational videos. It is also helpful to consult with a physics teacher or tutor for personalized instruction and guidance.