What is the best approach for Integration by parts?

In summary: Try u = x^6 and dv = e^(2x^3)Then du = 6x^5 and v = \frac{e^(2x^3)}{2x^3}.I'm not sure if that's correct but I think the power stays the same because it's an odd power and it's just a constant multiple of the original integral.Hope that helps!In summary, the conversation discusses various integration problems and techniques, including integration by parts and the order of choosing u and dv. The participants also mention a saying to remember the order of choosing u and dv, and give examples of applying these techniques to specific
Tom McCurdy
I am usually alright once I figure out how to split up the integral into
u:
du:
v:
dv:
so i can simply do
[tex] uv-\int v*du [/tex] but I keep messing up on there I will post some examples if I can find them and if someone could help me that would be great

[tex] \int (ln(x))^2 [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is what I am trying

u: ln x
du: 1/x
v: x ln(x)-x
dv: ln x

[tex](x ln(x)-x)ln(x)-\int {ln(x)}-1 [/tex]

[tex](x ln(x)-x)ln(x)-(x ln(x) -x) + x [/tex]

Last edited:
I am also trying to figure out u and dv for [tex] \int (x ln x)^2 [/tex] but i figured it would follow in line once i figured out the previous problem

Last edited:
Hey tom,

For

[tex] \int x^2 (\ln x)^2 dx [/tex]

Use [itex] u = (\ln x)^2 [/itex]

Last edited:
Tom McCurdy said:
Here is what I am trying

u: ln x
du: 1/x
v: x ln(x)-x
dv: ln x

[tex](x ln(x)-x)ln(x)-\int {ln(x)}-1 [/tex]

[tex](x ln(x)-x)ln(x)-(x ln(x) -x) + x [/tex]

You have the right answer, what's the problem?

quasar987 said:
You have the right answer, what's the problem?
I figured it out and kept editing it... thanks though... I am still not sure how I would know to split up the U and dv in the way that I did

ok I got it down to
[tex] (x^2 ln(x))(x ln(x) - x) - [ \frac{x^3(3ln(x)-1)}{27}-\frac{x^3}{27} ][/tex]

out of curisoity is there any rules on how to do [tex] \int \frac{x^2 ln(x)}{27} [/tex] because it was needed for the previous problem and I just used my calculator to come out with the first fraction after the first bracket.

That's an integration by parts

If we rearrange it:

[tex] \frac{1}{27} \int x^2 \ln x dx [/tex]

Tom McCurdy said:
I am still not sure how I would know to split up the U and dv in the way that I did

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other way than trial an error.

Quasar is right, but you will learn to notice which to pick as you make plenty integration by parts.

thx... what would I do to start [tex] \int tan^{-1} [/tex]

Last edited:
oh wait the derivitive of [tex] tan^{-1} = \frac{1}{(x^2+1)} [/tex] So I set tan^-1 as u and 1 as dv... let me see what i get

Assuming your mean arctg

I recommend [itex] u = arctg [/itex]

I was doing the [tex] \int x sin^{-1} [/tex] and was wondering once you got to
[tex] x sin^{-1} - \int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} [/tex] how you would integrate [tex] \int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} [/tex] I know the answer is [tex] -\sqrt{1-x^2} [/tex] but how do you get that

Alright
I am doing the [tex] \int x^2 e^{5x} [/tex] and I got to here
assuming u:x^2 and dv: e^(5x)
[tex] \frac{x^2*e^{5x}}{5} - \frac{2}{5} \int 2x e^{52} [/tex]

what would I do now?

Assuming you mean 5x instead of 52.

Integrate by part that integral :smile:

oh ****... this is going to take forever... I am on problem 18 out of 64 and I realized that the problems ahead will require 5 integration by parts

lol this is what i mean [tex] \int x^5*e^{2x^3} [/tex]

woah this was werid...

i was doing [tex] \int x^3*e^{x^2} [/tex] and I got down to

[tex] 2x^4 e^{x^2}-2 \int x^3*e^{x^2} [/tex] which is the original problem... how would I go about solving this...

Since

[tex] \int x^3*e^{x^2} = 2x^4 e^{x^2}-2 \int x^3*e^{x^2} [/tex] can I just say
[tex] 3 \int x^3*e^{x^2} = 2x^4 e^{x^2}[/tex]
[tex] \int x^3*e^{x^2} = \frac{2x^4 e^{x^2}}{3} [/tex] ?

Yes you can.

It's True! Lazy People Ride The Elevator!

I was always taught to pick [tex]u[/tex] by the following priority,…

Inverse Trig
Logarithms
Polynomials
Rational
Trigonometric
Exponential'

The order can be remembered by the saying at the top of this post. :biggrin:

In the case that you were working with here you should let [tex]u[/tex] equal the natural log function and then let [tex]dv[/tex] equal what's left.

This system may not be fail-proof, but it seems to work most of the time. Actually it's never failed me yet.

thx... I am having trouble with [tex] \int x^5*e^{2x^3} [/tex]

what should be U and what should be dv...

I choose u:x^5 and dv: e^(2x^3) but it got out of hand quickly

oh shoot... I see a mistake I made... I had it as
[tex] \int x^5*e^{{(2x)}^3} [/tex]
instead of
[tex] \int x^5*e^{2x^3} [/tex]

nope still have a problem when I use u: x^5 and dv: e^(2x^3)
the power increases and after first one you get

[tex] 6x^7 e^{2x^3} - 30 \int x^2 e^{2x^3} [/tex]... what should i do

Keep on integrating, and pray you didn't make a mistake

Also a note: I've noticed you don't like putting dx in your integrals, do it on your work, some teachers (specially mathematicians) take points off if you don't.

Tom McCurdy said:
nope still have a problem when I use u: x^5 and dv: e^(2x^3)
the power increases and after first one you get

[tex] 6x^7 e^{2x^3} - 30 \int x^2 e^{2x^3} [/tex]... what should i do

sorry i mistyped last time
the reason i am nervous that i did something wrong is that the power inside the integral increased instead of decreased
it went from 5 to 6
correct version
[tex] 6x^7 e^{2x^3} - 30 \int x^6e^{2x^3} [/tex]...

1. Why is integration by parts so difficult?

Integration by parts can be challenging because it requires a good understanding of both the product and chain rules of differentiation, as well as the ability to choose the correct term to integrate and differentiate. It also involves multiple steps and can become more complex when dealing with more complicated functions.

2. Can I avoid using integration by parts?

In some cases, integration by parts may be necessary to solve an integral. However, there are alternative methods such as substitution and partial fractions that may be easier to use in certain situations. It is important to have a good understanding of all integration techniques to choose the most efficient method.

3. How do I know when to use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral involves a product of two functions, with one being easily integrated and the other easily differentiated. It can also be used when the integral involves a polynomial multiplied by a trigonometric function.

4. What are some common mistakes when using integration by parts?

One common mistake is not applying the correct order of operations when differentiating and integrating. It is important to identify which term should be integrated and which should be differentiated. Another mistake is forgetting to apply the necessary substitution or change of variables after the integration by parts step.

5. How can I improve my skills in integration by parts?

Practice is key to improving your skills in integration by parts. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic calculus concepts and to be familiar with the different types of functions and their derivatives. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or using online resources can also be helpful in mastering this technique.