I Hate It. No, Wait, I Love It.

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
my musical tastes can change a lot, but mostly its because of how i listen to it. once i learned guitar it was hard to enjoy certain types of music. when i was depressed i really liked emo stuff, but now that i'm not, i can't stand their whining.

with foods, i've tried changing my tastes, but i can't tend to do it willingly. most things i've hated since childhood, i still hate.. peanut butter, carrots, (and most veggies,) spaghetti and plenty more... there's a few things i'll eat now that i didn't used to, like lettuce and spinach and french fries, but thats because i learned that i didn't like ranch dressing or ketchup.

There's been people i sometimes like or don't like depending on my mood. thats definitely a mood thing though. sometimes around friends, i'll think that even though they're dense and not exactly smart, i'm like "whatever, they're fun to be around" and other times i just can't stand the stupid things they like to do.

SpaceTiger said:
It is my story, so I think I would know why I changed my mind. :rolleyes:
So, you're saying instead of hearing the alternate interpretation by listening more closely you underwent some sort of stupification that made you listen less closely?

SpaceTiger
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
So, you're saying instead of hearing the alternate interpretation by listening more closely you underwent some sort of stupification that made you listen less closely?
I changed my mind because I was told what the songwriter's intentions were. The whole point here is that I then approached the song from a completely different perspective. This certainly can happen by listening more closely to a song, but it doesn't have to and it didn't in the case I was describing.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, here is a really strange one. When I was about age ten I got a really bad case of the flu. After being deathly ill for several days I had just started to feel better, mom was cooking dinner, and I was finally ready to eat something [smelling dinner] when I saw this commercial that showed someone frying chopped onions. For some reason the chopped onions looked to me like chopped pickels which I instantly began to crave. Before this I would eat pickles but didn't particularly like them more than other veggies, but from that time on I loved pickles.

Even then this all seemed very odd, but I think it was a response to not eating for several days.

hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
See also the mere exposure effect. It seems that in some cases, we develop preferences for things just as a function of how much we've been exposed to them, whether consciously or unconsciously. On a somewhat related note, people's introspective explanations for why they've developed a preference for some thing or another don't necessarily faithfully track the true causes.