Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I hate it when people prounce ln as lawn

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    I hate it when people prounce ln as "lawn"

It's bad enough writing ln instead of log, but pronouncing it ln is just too far.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh, dear. I had a philosophy professer once who used to talk about Leonhard Yoooler in his lectures. Man, that drove me nuts. He was probably doing it on purpose.

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, to prounce words wrongly, is almost as bad as spelling mistales..

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose if you prowl about, pouncing on words, that would be prouncing! :approve:

6. Oct 13, 2005 #5

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh. I had a physics prof who pronounced 'square root' as squirt. He used a lot of MATLAB...

Made me chuckle every time.

7. Oct 13, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One thing that drives me crazy is the number of students who don't use "ln" but rather "In" for natural log!

8. Oct 13, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

He sounds like a dry stick.

9. Oct 14, 2005 #8

uart

Science Advisor

Funny you should say that becausing just a few days ago I was teaching my nephew about log's and was showing him over the log, 10^x, ln and e^x buttons on his calculator. You know the very first thing he said when I pointed out the ln button is "Oh, I always wondered what that button was, I thought it was In".

So my guess is that this misconception is probably arising for the way "ln" is marked on most calculators. At the time I was thinking it might be better if they used a capital L, like "Ln", even though it's not standard at least it would be easy to distingish it from an "I".

10. Oct 14, 2005 #9
    Had a prof in math who pronounced it squirt too :biggrin:

11. Oct 14, 2005 #10

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Mea culpa. I guess. :uhh:
    I mean that I'm one of those who writes nat logs as 'ln' and pronounces it 'lawn'. The abbreviation 'ln' is accepted notation for the nat log, even though some sticklers (like yourself) get all huffy about it. Log often means common log by default in layman oriented contexts, but in math professional contexts, it means the natural log. To avoid confusion I prefer to adopt the notation 'lg' for base 10 logs, while keeping 'ln' for base e. Of course, the ideal situation would be to write the base as a subscript all the time, but it's bleeding tedious isn't it ?

Pronouncing 'ln' "lawn" is also fairly common. Others would say "Ell En", some would just say "log". There's no rigid rule about this.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  12. Oct 14, 2005 #11
    It's "len" here...

13. Oct 14, 2005 #12

Actually, the 'n' in 'Ln' stands for Napier, although more and more people seem to be forgetting that and assuming that it stands for natural.

14. Oct 14, 2005 #13

mezarashi

Homework Helper

I was taught to pronounce things like "ln 3" as "lawn three". The same guy also taught me to call Euler "oiler" and Cauchy" koochie". I would think having to say something like "natural log of three" every time you run into "log base e's" would be hassleful. Isn't "log" itself an abbreviation of the full thing?

15. Oct 14, 2005 #14
    Do you have a source for this?

16. Oct 14, 2005 #15
    Yeah, I always thought "Euler" was pronounced "Yooler" and "Cauchy" was pronounced "Cocky"... :\
    "Ell En" for me...

17. Oct 14, 2005 #16
    yes i also thought euler should be pronounce as europe or eulogy, how did he dare not to?! (-:

18. Oct 14, 2005 #17
    btw, here israelis pronounce ln as lan.
    needless to say that someone who knows a little bit about computers thinks that it's awfull.

19. Oct 14, 2005 #18

mezarashi

Homework Helper

According to this site, ln would come from "log naturalis", which would make more sense. I have to admit that reading on how Napier and Briggs pioneered the logarithm is just amazing. Many other cool things about mathematical history here as well.

http://www.pballew.net/arithme1.html

*sweat*

20. Oct 14, 2005 #19
    I hate how in some math classes log actually means ln.

21. Oct 14, 2005 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Infidel !!!

And mez : "koochie" is just, plain sacrilege ! :eek: Just for the record, it's more like koh-shee.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?