Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I hate it when this happens

1. May 23, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I spent the entire morning working on this quote. I hit the last entry and got THIS

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Transaction (Process ID 62) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

AAAARRGGGHHHH

I've been killed by Microsoft. :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2006 #2

Evo

Potato cheese soup is here!!!!

:!!) :!!) :!!) :!!) :!!)

4. May 23, 2006 #3
    Potato cheese soup? what on earth are you going on about?

5. May 23, 2006 #4

Evo

You obviously have not been keeping current with my life.

It's the only reason I work here.

6. May 23, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YAY!
    Damn SQL server. :grumpy: Good thing MS doesn't make potato cheese soup. If someone else was trying to eat the soup at the same time as you, it might dissappear from your spoon before it got to your lips.

7. May 23, 2006 #6
    I hope "Potato cheese soup is here!!!" sisn't the quote you worked on all morning. If so, maybe MS was trying to tell you something. :smile:

8. May 23, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That would be bad.

I hate when a computer freezes up just as you hit save. :grumpy: Considering you work at a company that is supposed to be dealing with technology all day, you'd think they'd get their own technology a bit more up-to-date and functional. What sort of confidence does that inspire in a customer? "We'll sell you all these important, hi-tech, quality network components that your business is going to depend on, just as soon as we reboot our frozen computers." :rolleyes: (I don't know exactly if that's what your company sells, but you get the point.)

9. May 23, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can relate. My boss likes to say, the cobbler's children have no shoes. :rofl:

10. May 23, 2006 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:grumpy: I think this needs to be expanded upon

11. May 23, 2006 #10

Astronuc

Well, take a break from the PC and enjoy Potato Cheese soup.

What kind of cheese, Cheddar? I think a jalapeño Monterrey Jack would be pretty good. Do they have French Onion soup on other days? :tongue2:

As for MS, perhaps set autosave for every 10-15 minutes. :rolleyes:

In the previous company we 'had' to do that :yuck: , as MS Apps and OS seemed so unreliable.

Now I if I do a major change, I just automatically do a manual save.

Sometimes I open a new document and work in that completely separately.

I have had spreadsheets crash for some trivial reason, and that really pisses me off. :mad: :devil:

12. May 23, 2006 #11

Evo

:rofl: Sorry your soup has been terminated.

13. May 23, 2006 #12

Evo

It's cream cheese.

You can't do that in this application, you either have an option to "update" or not. It's an application some ex employee wrote then left the company and for some unknown reason we are paying this guy millions to use it and it is the suckiest thing I've ever used. People that write this cr@p should be forced to use it. :grumpy:

14. May 23, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Ouch! I've had experience with a similar situation - piss poor customized software. :rolleyes:

Something is very wrong if the company is paying an ex-employee millions to use software that in theory was developed while he was an employee. :uhh: What do the company IT people think about it? Possibly if written under an earlier OS, its not upwardly compatable. Now - how do we rescue you from this place? :cool:

15. May 23, 2006 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Now - how do we rescue you from this place?

Use a bouncing bomb to breach the wall, have to pinch a lanc from somewhere, maybe we could get some locals to take care of the outer defences, any buildings in the flight path? we would need to get down
    to about 100ft agl if memory serves, the tail gunner could straff the pill boxes, we would need a fast car for the final escape any one have a cobra?
    then it would be to the air pick up point ,we could use a lysander for the
    short hop to an international airport, then to the secret location in england

So lancaster, bouncing bomb, lysander,cobra, packet of mints, heroic music
    and some good luck.

16. May 23, 2006 #15
    I'll send mints - I've got some right here.

17. May 23, 2006 #16

Evo

<takes mints from rach>

Couldn't I just buy a plane ticket?

18. May 23, 2006 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Macho hero thwarted by a plane ticket, drat and double drat. i suppose we
    could break the speed limit on our way here :devil: :devil:

19. May 23, 2006 #18

Astronuc

Nah! Too easy! They'd be expecting that. Besides, that'd take the fun out it.

What we need is a surprise and a ripping diversion. I envision Wooly riding up on his motorbike, jumping the moat, sliding to a stop, you jumping on the bike, getting a firm grip of Woolie, Woolie racing his bike across the parking lot, jumping several cars, and you both riding of into the sunset, then ditching bike for the Cobra, racing to air pick up point, using a lysander for the short hop to an international airport, then to the secret location in England (actually it's another country disguised to look like England), but then we take you to the real one in secret. :cool:

Woolie is really 0063/4

20. May 24, 2006 #19

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boy do I know how that feels... You would not believe the POS printer and computer I have to use at work. Finding a printer cardridge used to be easy.. there were huge bins of them just take what you need... Now we buy them from Staples!

21. Jun 1, 2006 #20

Astronuc

What's with MS OS's and the Blue Screen of Death.

I turned on my Laptop yesterday in order to download my presentation for someone to transfer to the PC for the meeting.

It gets to the point where I am supposed to log in, and then goes into "Blue Screen of Death" with a subsequent "Main Memory Dump". :surprised

Fortunately, I had emailed the presentation to the chair of the meeting.

I need to get a memory stick. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?