I hate it when this happens

  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • #1
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454

Main Question or Discussion Point

I spent the entire morning working on this quote. I hit the last entry and got THIS

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Transaction (Process ID 62) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

AAAARRGGGHHHH

I've been killed by Microsoft. :cry:
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
Potato cheese soup is here!!!!

:!!) :!!) :!!) :!!) :!!)
 
  • #3
55
9
Potato cheese soup? what on earth are you going on about?
 
  • #4
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
Andy said:
Potato cheese soup? what on earth are you going on about?
You obviously have not been keeping current with my life.

It's the only reason I work here.
 
  • #5
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,527
28
Evo said:
Potato cheese soup is here!!!!

:!!) :!!) :!!) :!!) :!!)
YAY!
Damn SQL server. :grumpy: Good thing MS doesn't make potato cheese soup. If someone else was trying to eat the soup at the same time as you, it might dissappear from your spoon before it got to your lips.
 
  • #6
53
0
I hope "Potato cheese soup is here!!!" sisn't the quote you worked on all morning. If so, maybe MS was trying to tell you something. :smile:
 
  • #7
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
51
Math Is Hard said:
YAY!
Damn SQL server. :grumpy: Good thing MS doesn't make potato cheese soup. If someone else was trying to eat the soup at the same time as you, it might dissappear from your spoon before it got to your lips.
:rofl: That would be bad.

I hate when a computer freezes up just as you hit save. :grumpy: Considering you work at a company that is supposed to be dealing with technology all day, you'd think they'd get their own technology a bit more up-to-date and functional. What sort of confidence does that inspire in a customer? "We'll sell you all these important, hi-tech, quality network components that your business is going to depend on, just as soon as we reboot our frozen computers." :rolleyes: (I don't know exactly if that's what your company sells, but you get the point.)
 
  • #8
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,527
28
I can relate. My boss likes to say, the cobbler's children have no shoes. :rofl:
 
  • #9
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
14
Evo said:
You obviously have not been keeping current with my life.

It's the only reason I work here.
:grumpy: I think this needs to be expanded upon
 
  • #10
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,704
1,717
Well, take a break from the PC and enjoy Potato Cheese soup.

What kind of cheese, Cheddar? I think a jalapeño Monterrey Jack would be pretty good. Do they have French Onion soup on other days? :tongue2:

As for MS, perhaps set autosave for every 10-15 minutes. :rolleyes:

In the previous company we 'had' to do that :yuck: , as MS Apps and OS seemed so unreliable.

Now I if I do a major change, I just automatically do a manual save.

Sometimes I open a new document and work in that completely separately.

I have had spreadsheets crash for some trivial reason, and that really pisses me off. :mad: :devil:
 
  • #11
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
Math Is Hard said:
YAY!
Damn SQL server. :grumpy: Good thing MS doesn't make potato cheese soup. If someone else was trying to eat the soup at the same time as you, it might dissappear from your spoon before it got to your lips.
:rofl: Sorry your soup has been terminated.
 
  • #12
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
Astronuc said:
Well, take a break from the PC and enjoy Potato Cheese soup.

What kind of cheese, Cheddar? I think a jalapeño Monterrey Jack would be pretty good. Do they have French Onion soup on other days? :tongue2:
It's cream cheese.

As for MS, perhaps set autosave for every 10-15 minutes. :rolleyes:
You can't do that in this application, you either have an option to "update" or not. It's an application some ex employee wrote then left the company and for some unknown reason we are paying this guy millions to use it and it is the suckiest thing I've ever used. People that write this cr@p should be forced to use it. :grumpy:
 
  • #13
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,704
1,717
Evo said:
You can't do that in this application, you either have an option to "update" or not. It's an application some ex employee wrote then left the company and for some unknown reason we are paying this guy millions to use it and it is the suckiest thing I've ever used. People that write this cr@p should be forced to use it. :grumpy:
Ouch! I've had experience with a similar situation - piss poor customized software. :rolleyes:

Something is very wrong if the company is paying an ex-employee millions to use software that in theory was developed while he was an employee. :uhh: What do the company IT people think about it? Possibly if written under an earlier OS, its not upwardly compatable. Now - how do we rescue you from this place? :cool:
 
  • #14
wolram
Gold Member
4,260
554
Now - how do we rescue you from this place?

Use a bouncing bomb to breach the wall, have to pinch a lanc from somewhere, maybe we could get some locals to take care of the outer defences, any buildings in the flight path? we would need to get down
to about 100ft agl if memory serves, the tail gunner could straff the pill boxes, we would need a fast car for the final escape any one have a cobra?
then it would be to the air pick up point ,we could use a lysander for the
short hop to an international airport, then to the secret location in england

So lancaster, bouncing bomb, lysander,cobra, packet of mints, heroic music
and some good luck.
 
  • #15
Rach3
I'll send mints - I've got some right here.
 
  • #16
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
<takes mints from rach>

Couldn't I just buy a plane ticket?
 
  • #17
wolram
Gold Member
4,260
554
Evo said:
<takes mints from rach>

Couldn't I just buy a plane ticket?
Macho hero thwarted by a plane ticket, drat and double drat. i suppose we
could break the speed limit on our way here :devil: :devil:
 
  • #18
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,704
1,717
Evo said:
<takes mints from rach>

Couldn't I just buy a plane ticket?
Nah! Too easy! They'd be expecting that. Besides, that'd take the fun out it.

What we need is a surprise and a ripping diversion. I envision Wooly riding up on his motorbike, jumping the moat, sliding to a stop, you jumping on the bike, getting a firm grip of Woolie, Woolie racing his bike across the parking lot, jumping several cars, and you both riding of into the sunset, then ditching bike for the Cobra, racing to air pick up point, using a lysander for the short hop to an international airport, then to the secret location in England (actually it's another country disguised to look like England), but then we take you to the real one in secret. :cool:

Woolie is really 0063/4
 
  • #19
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,198
55
Moonbear said:
:rofl: That would be bad.

I hate when a computer freezes up just as you hit save. :grumpy: Considering you work at a company that is supposed to be dealing with technology all day, you'd think they'd get their own technology a bit more up-to-date and functional. What sort of confidence does that inspire in a customer? "We'll sell you all these important, hi-tech, quality network components that your business is going to depend on, just as soon as we reboot our frozen computers." :rolleyes: (I don't know exactly if that's what your company sells, but you get the point.)
Boy do I know how that feels... You would not believe the POS printer and computer I have to use at work. Finding a printer cardridge used to be easy.. there were huge bins of them just take what you need... Now we buy them from Staples!
 
  • #20
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,704
1,717
What's with MS OS's and the Blue Screen of Death.

I turned on my Laptop yesterday in order to download my presentation for someone to transfer to the PC for the meeting.

It gets to the point where I am supposed to log in, and then goes into "Blue Screen of Death" with a subsequent "Main Memory Dump". :surprised

Fortunately, I had emailed the presentation to the chair of the meeting.

I need to get a memory stick. :rolleyes:
 
  • #21
FredGarvin
Science Advisor
5,066
6
Memory sticks are quite handy. I can't believe how much I use mine now.
 
  • #22
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,704
1,717
FredGarvin said:
Memory sticks are quite handy. I can't believe how much I use mine now.
Whenever I go to a technical meeting, just about everyone has a memory stick in the pocket or on a string/tether around the neck. I presume they are safe from the airport X-ray machines.

I was finally successful in starting up the Laptop in Safe Mode. I just had to hold down the F8 key from the very beginning. So later I will retrieve what I need from the HD, and the bash the H@$& out of it. :grumpy: :biggrin:
 
  • #23
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
51
Astronuc said:
Whenever I go to a technical meeting, just about everyone has a memory stick in the pocket or on a string/tether around the neck. I presume they are safe from the airport X-ray machines.
Yep, they're pretty durable. I have two now, and am thinking of getting a third, but then I was drooling over the tiny external harddrives when I was at the Apple Store, so might get one of those for back-up. They have a couple that are no bigger than a spare battery for my laptop. :approve:
 
  • #24
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,704
1,717
Moonbear said:
Yep, they're pretty durable. I have two now, and am thinking of getting a third, but then I was drooling over the tiny external harddrives when I was at the Apple Store, so might get one of those for back-up. They have a couple that are no bigger than a spare battery for my laptop. :approve:
They key is redundancy - redundant backup and redundant power supply. Sorry to be so redundant. :biggrin:
 
  • #25
Evo
Mentor
23,104
2,454
I'm having a really bad day.

I left my makeup bag in the bathroom at work last night and it appears it has been stolen. :cry: I think they took it for the bag, I can't imagine that they wanted the contents. :grumpy: We have some seedy people working in this building.

To make me feel even worse I just got an e-mail from my best friend in Italy. I hadn't heard from him since he left for Milan and was sure he was angry because I haven't sent his camera to him yet.

NO. I hadn't heard from him because he's been floating around the Aeolian Islands on his friend's 2 million dollar yacht with bikini models on a photo shoot. :devil: :grumpy:

:cry:
 

Related Threads for: I hate it when this happens

  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
38
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
22
Views
3K
Replies
48
Views
25K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
32
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
2K
  • Last Post
4
Replies
75
Views
9K
Replies
58
Views
6K
Top