• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I hate Linear Algebra

What textbook are you using? The first linear algebra class I took used a textbook that to this day is the worst textbook I've ever encountered.
Having a good textbook makes loving the subject much easier.
Elementary Linear Algebra: Applications Version, 9th ed., by H. Anton and C. Rorres

Linear algebra is truly awesome.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I would love it if the class had more real world kinds of problems.
That's really not a good way to view mathematics. The calculus sequence is typically the last course in which you see problems that come from the sciences, unless of course you take advanced courses in differential equations. The higher you go in mathematics, the purer the math becomes. The professors figure that by the time students get to linear algebra they've weeded out all the people who don't really want to study math, so they can really get down to business. They want to discuss their subject and they feel that if you are taking their course that you should want to learn it. Why else would you be there?.

That's really not a good way to view mathematics. The calculus sequence is typically the last course in which you see problems that come from the sciences, unless of course you take advanced courses in differential equations. The higher you go in mathematics, the purer the math becomes. The professors figure that by the time students get to linear algebra they've weeded out all the people who don't really want to study math, so they can really get down to business. They want to discuss their subject and they feel that if you are taking their course that you should want to learn it. Why else would you be there?.
I agree with this. People tend to view applied math as something where you apply math to a real world problem, but I don't think that's entirely true. A misconception perhaps.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's a common misconception. I majored in Engineering Physics and I took a course called Abstract Algebra, because I had encountered groups in QM. I was frustrated with the course because he never talked about QM at all. We had just covered the Sylow theorems in the previous class when the guy walks in and says we're going to be doing some applications. "It's about time!" I thought, as I hoped he would look at something from QM.

Then he proceeded to apply the Sylow theorems to finding the isomorphism classes of groups of a given order. :grumpy:

I didn't understand then, but now I do.

Elementary Linear Algebra: Applications Version, 9th ed., by H. Anton and C. Rorres
Odd, that's an easy book that doesn't delve into true theory much, if at all.

Linear Algebra is most often the first abstract class an undergrad takes, I think that tends to be why most people have a difficult time with it. If you plan on doing more math than just first and second year calculus than understanding linear algebra and developing your abstract mathematical skills is essential.

Last edited:
The prof is a nazi. He'll give us practice tests that make us underestimate the test and guide us in the wrong direction. He's even said he's going to kill us with the final. The kind of proofs he asks on the tests make me feel like I need to know every property and identity. It's annoying.
He dosen't put on putnam problems does he?

Hello,

Why you hate linear algebra ? i love linear algebra its my favorite subject.
I agree. I took every linear algebra course our school had, voluntarily. If I could have majored in just linear algebra, I would have. :tongue:

thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
LA is as important as Caculus, and may be even more useful when you learning QM. It's usual to calculate eigenvalues and diagonalise matrixes when resolving QM problems. However, not everything learnt in LA courses is very needed, though it won't be bad to be familiar with all of them. Fairly speaking LA is difficult so you should find some collections of problems to complete. Practice makes perfect.