I hate maths but I love physics, What should I study?

In summary, you have to select a field of study now because you want to apply for a scholarship. You may want to consider studying medicine or physics, but you may not like math.
Marry
Hi,
It's my last year at secondary scool and I don't know what to study I have to select the field now because I want to apply for a scolarship.
Parents want me to study medicine and it's okay for me, but I want to study a thing that makes me a useful person .
I want to study physics in order to make systems that helps protecting people in war I don't know something like Iron Dome but cheaper and more effective or something that protects from nuclear weapons.
Ps: I'm doing well at both of them but I just hate maths
Ps: where will I work ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marry said:
Hi,
It's my last year at secondary scool and I don't know what to study I have to select the field now because I want to apply for a scolarship.
Parents want me to study medicine and it's okay for me, but I want to study a thing that makes me a useful person .
I want to study physics in order to make systems that helps protecting people in war I don't know something like Iron Dome but cheaper and more effective or something that protects from nuclear weapons.
If you hate math, physics is not the answer for you.

Likes bentleyghioda, Scrumhalf, FactChecker and 2 others
I suppose a lot really depends on what you mean by "hate maths." To be successful in physics you will need to be able to put in the time to study the math behind it, and more than just the "minimum necessary." You don't have to love it, but if you're going to hate every minute of working through math problems then you're not setting yourself up for an education that you'll particularly enjoy.

You might also want to think about why you like physics, but not mathematics. In high school a lot can depend on the teachers you have and they way you've been taught. For some students, things change when they get to university and get taught by someone who really loves their subject or whose style jives a little more with how those students learn.

For what it's worth, if your goal is studying something "useful," medicine certainly falls into that category. And there are ways of combining things too. You could look into medical physics, for example (but you'll still have to do the math if you go that route).

Likes Marry
Marry said:
Hi,

This is very odd, because you seem to imply that being a medical doctor does not make you a useful person. So who do you see when you get sick or need medical help?

Many years ago, I did a non-scientific survey in this forum on what people, while they were in high school or early undergrad, wanted to do as a career, and what they ended up doing. The OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of respondents indicated that they did NOT end up where they envisioned! What this means is that there is a very strong chance that you will not end up working in the area that you think you want to do now.

Think about that for a moment.

Zz.

Likes Marry
Saying that you like physics but don't like the math is like saying that you like Shakespeare but do not like the sentences in his stories.

Since math is the language of physics, can you clarify your statement? Do you like physics because of how you imagine it being applied, but do not like the mathematical statements in it? If so, you might consider fields in engineering where the physics that you like is actually being applied. But you can not avoid the math no matter what you do.

Last edited:
Likes Marry
Hate is a pretty strong word. You have to tolerate some amount of math in any of these fields. A lot in physics, a reasonable amount in electrical/computer engineering or computer science. Your best bet may be to focus on some field like computer engineering. You can get through most of your math, primarily network analysis, etc. and then specialize in computer hardware or programming. That will get you to your goal with as little hardcore math as possible.

Likes Marry
Marry said:
Hi,
You might hate Mathematics (now) but you must deal with it. The more of it you can learn, the better.
Instead of trying to get to Medicine right away/now/soon, look towards Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, maybe even to Physics. Medicine or something related to it could be an option later.

Something to figure about Mathematics is:
Do you want to study the inner-workings of it, or do you want it as a tool?

Likes Marry
I am a mathematician but there have been lots of topics in math that I did not like. It turns out I liked them better after I began to understand them better. Thus it helps to learn a topic from someone who understands and enjoys it to be able to see it through his/her eyes and gain an appreciation for it. In m y experience also I have found that physicists tend to understand math better than mathematicans in some sense, because they have a feel for how it is useful, or what it means in practice. They have real world situations to serve as test arenas for the math statements. (Recall the examples of Archimedes, Riemann, Newton and Witten.) So when I tutored a young person in math who enjoyed physics, I tried to take a physics orientation to presenting the math. E .g. I looked online for sources about Archimedes' perspective on doing integration via the principle of a balance beam, and we both enjoyed that.

Last edited:
Likes Marry and FactChecker
Mark44 said:
If you hate math, physics is not the answer for you.
I love the maths which I need to solve physics , I hate to go deep

Choppy said:
I suppose a lot really depends on what you mean by "hate maths." To be successful in physics you will need to be able to put in the time to study the math behind it, and more than just the "minimum necessary." You don't have to love it, but if you're going to hate every minute of working through math problems then you're not setting yourself up for an education that you'll particularly enjoy.

You might also want to think about why you like physics, but not mathematics. In high school a lot can depend on the teachers you have and they way you've been taught. For some students, things change when they get to university and get taught by someone who really loves their subject or whose style jives a little more with how those students learn.

For what it's worth, if your goal is studying something "useful," medicine certainly falls into that category. And there are ways of combining things too. You could look into medical physics, for example (but you'll still have to do the math if you go that route).
First thanks for your time.
What I hate is to go deep, I mean in physics I only deal with easy equations and silly stuff which I love but while studying Mechanics I just hate every single moment maybe because my teacher doesn't give me satisfying answers and he always tells me to stop connecting between maths and physics .
However my GPA in maths is 3.7 and I am very fast though I don't know why I don't feel I want to complete my life with many numbers. I don't know whether that's right or wrong or that's only because I'm a silly teenager .
For sure I think that medicine is very useful but we need more physicians if we can prevent the war we won't need medicine .
I first thought that I can study medicine or chemistry to find a cure but then I said
Prevention is better than cure .

ZapperZ said:
This is very odd, because you seem to imply that being a medical doctor does not make you a useful person. So who do you see when you get sick or need medical help?
Many years ago, I did a non-scientific survey in this forum on what people, while they were in high school or early undergrad, wanted to do as a career, and what they ended up doing. The OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of respondents indicated that they did NOT end up where they envisioned! What this means is that there is a very strong chance that you will not end up working in the area that you think you want to do now.

Think about that for a moment.

Zz.
Thanks for your time
For sure I think that medicine is very useful but we need more physicians if we can prevent the war we won't need medicine .
I first thought that I can study medicine or chemistry to find a cure but then I said

Marry said:
Thanks for your time

For your information, people who work in physics are called "physicist". "Physicians" are medical doctors.

Secondly, one isn't required to like math enough to want to be math majors. One simply has to be good in it to do physics. "Hating" it is going too far. If you are lucky enough to choose the right school, you'll get a course in mathematical physics or something similar, where you'll tackle the math needed for a typical physics major.

Zz.

FactChecker said:
Saying that you like physics but don't like the math is like saying that you like Shakespeare but do not like the sentences in his stories.

Since math is the language of physics, can you clarify your statement? Do you like physics because of how you imagine it being applied, but do not like the mathematical statements in it? If so, you might consider fields in engineering where the physics that you like is actually being applied. But you can not avoid the math no matter what you do.
I love the maths we use in physics which is much easier than real maths .
I love physics because I can imagine it being applied, I also like the mathematical statements in it.
On the other side while studying mechanics I can't imagine it being applied at all even when I ask my teacher he always tells me that mechanics is different from physics
I don't know I'm really confused

Scrumhalf said:
Hate is a pretty strong word. You have to tolerate some amount of math in any of these fields. A lot in physics, a reasonable amount in electrical/computer engineering or computer science. Your best bet may be to focus on some field like computer engineering. You can get through most of your math, primarily network analysis, etc. and then specialize in computer hardware or programming. That will get you to your goal with as little hardcore math as possible.
Thanks for your time but how can programming help preventing wars ?
symbolipoint said:
You might hate Mathematics (now) but you must deal with it. The more of it you can learn, the better.
Instead of trying to get to Medicine right away/now/soon, look towards Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, maybe even to Physics. Medicine or something related to it could be an option later.

Something to figure about Mathematics is:
Do you want to study the inner-workings of it, or do you want it as a tool?
I got your point so thanks a lot .
Your comment was really helpful.

mathwonk said:
I am a mathematician but there have been lots of topics in math that I did not like. It turns out I liked them better after I began to understand them better. Thus it helps to learn a topic from someone who understands and enjoys it to be able to see it through his/her eyes and gain an appreciation for it. In m y experience also I have found that physicists tend to understand math better than mathematicans in some sense, because they have a feel for how it is useful, or what it means in practice. They have real world situations to serve as test arenas for the math statements. (Recall the examples of Archimedes, Riemann, Newton and Witten.) So when I tutored a young person in math who enjoyed physics, I tried to take a physics prientation to opresenting the math. E .g. I looked online for sources about Archimedes' perspective on doing integration via the porinciple of a balance beam, and we both enjoyed that.
That was so helpful thanks alot

Marry said:
I love the maths which I need to solve physics , I hate to go deep
That is very understandable. What you will notice as you continue in physics is that the same patterns seem to occur over and over again. Those patterns are forced by the mathematics involved, which is sometimes not intuitive, but nevertheless is true and applies all over the place. That is what forced physicists to develop more abstract mathematics in terms of the mathematics itself rather than in terms of any single physics application. That will greatly increase your intuitive appreciation of the physics. Then, sorry to say, you will be hooked.

Likes Marry
ZapperZ said:
For your information, people who work in physics are called "physicist". "Physicians" are medical doctors.

Secondly, one isn't required to like math enough to want to be math majors. One simply has to be good in it to do physics. "Hating" it is going too far. If you are lucky enough to choose the right school, you'll get a course in mathematical physics or something similar, where you'll tackle the math needed for a typical physics major.

Zz.
I am sorry I didnt notice what I've written also English isn't my mother language . Thanks a lot you're so right .

Marry said:
Thanks for your time but how can programming help preventing wars ?

Think about why wars are waged. Usually about resources (land, water, minerals, etc.). Could also be about ideology, of course. Anything that can improve the quality of life of people can reduce the incentive for war. Better technology can be helpful. And better technology invariably involves hardware and software innovation. Even if not directly, simulations to improve say, the design of a wind turbine, or a more efficient solar cell, or better weather prediction or climate models that help better farming outcomes, all of these things can improve the lives of people and reduce their incentive for conflict.

Don't think narrowly. There are many, many ways to help humanity, all of which will reduce our incentive to kill each other. Approach this with an open mind. :)

Likes symbolipoint and Choppy
I have found that I don't like what I don't understand. This is particularity evident when I am learning math, but as soon as I begin to understand it, I enjoy it.

I am also a teenager, so I have been where you are (and still am to some extent). Medicine is always a great field, but if you don't feel like that is where you should be, it probably will not as fulfilling as what you believe you should do. Just keep exploring your options, don't rule anything out too soon, and you'll figure it out. Good luck in the field you choose.

Marry said:
I love the maths we use in physics which is much easier than real maths .
I love physics because I can imagine it being applied, I also like the mathematical statements in it.
On the other side while studying mechanics I can't imagine it being applied at all even when I ask my teacher he always tells me that mechanics is different from physics
I don't know I'm really confused
Physics versus Mechanics, not important to worry about the relationship. Best to study and try to understand. Your best bets right now would be Physics, Engineering, and Mathematics. After a couple of years, adjust as you go. You are underdeveloped and underconditioned, so you might make more decisive choices later.

Likes Marry
Marry said:
However my GPA in maths is 3.7 and I am very fast though I don't know why I don't feel I want to complete my life with many numbers.
The higher you go in math, the less it's about numbers.

Marry said:
?
War or no way, people get sick and need medicines.

Likes Marry
I have always thought that a field like biomedical engineering would be tremendously satisfying and make great advances in the future.

Likes Marry

1. Why do I hate maths but love physics?

There could be several reasons for this. One possible explanation is that physics deals with real-world applications and tangible concepts, while maths can feel abstract and disconnected from everyday life. Additionally, physics often involves hands-on experiments and practical problem-solving, whereas maths is more theoretical. It's also possible that you simply have a natural affinity for physics and find it more interesting and enjoyable than maths.

2. Can I study physics without being good at maths?

While a strong foundation in maths is essential for understanding and excelling in physics, it is still possible to study and succeed in physics even if you are not naturally gifted in maths. With dedication, hard work, and the right study strategies, you can improve your maths skills and succeed in physics.

3. Is physics more difficult than maths?

This is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some people may find maths more challenging, while others may struggle more with physics. However, since physics is often built upon mathematical principles, it may require a solid understanding of maths to fully grasp and apply concepts in physics.

4. What careers can I pursue with a love for physics?

There are many career options for individuals with a passion for physics. Some common professions include astrophysicist, engineer, research scientist, data analyst, and teacher. However, a physics degree can also open up opportunities in fields such as finance, technology, and healthcare.

5. What should I study if I hate maths but love physics?

If you are interested in pursuing a career in physics, it is important to continue studying maths as it is a fundamental aspect of the subject. However, you can also explore other areas of physics that may not require as much advanced maths, such as biophysics or computational physics. Ultimately, it's important to find a balance between your strengths and interests to find a fulfilling career path.