Solving the Synchronized Oscillation of Two Pendulums

• Thread starter idkgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillation
In summary, the two identical massive pendulums with different lengths will not oscillate in harmony due to having different periods of oscillation. However, they will reach position A simultaneously at a later time. To calculate the time it takes for this to happen, we must use the equation T = 2π√(L/g) and find the least common multiple of the two periods. By multiplying the shorter pendulum's period by 5 and the longer pendulum's period by 2, we get a common multiple of 9.28 seconds. This means that after 9.28 seconds, both pendulums will reach position A at the same time.
idkgirl

Homework Statement

Consider the two “gigantic” simple pendulums with identical masses but with different lengths
as shown below. Suppose they are released from rest from position A at the same time as
shown. So you understand that they will not oscillate in harmony since they will have different
periods of oscillation. But at a later time we will see both pendulums reaching the position A
simultaneously. When will it take place? (calculate the time taken from the start). Take
g=980 cm/s2 . Must show all the calculations.

Homework Equations

T = 2pi * square root of length/gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what I am doing. I don't know how to relate two different periods. =(

Physics news on Phys.org

idkgirl said:

Homework Statement

Consider the two “gigantic” simple pendulums with identical masses but with different lengths
as shown below. Suppose they are released from rest from position A at the same time as
shown. So you understand that they will not oscillate in harmony since they will have different
periods of oscillation. But at a later time we will see both pendulums reaching the position A
simultaneously. When will it take place? (calculate the time taken from the start). Take
g=980 cm/s2 . Must show all the calculations.

Homework Equations

T = 2pi * square root of length/gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what I am doing. I don't know how to relate two different periods. =(

Welcome to the PF.

So what are the two different periods?

the periods are 1.8558 (the one with a length of 85.5) and 4.6398 (the one with a length of 534.4).

I think what I should do is 4.6398/1.8558 and then multiply the periods by a common multiplier, correct?

idkgirl said:
the periods are 1.8558 (the one with a length of 85.5) and 4.6398 (the one with a length of 534.4).

I think what I should do is 4.6398/1.8558 and then multiply the periods by a common multiplier, correct?

You are on the right track -- you need to find the least common multiple to find when the are coincident in position again...

Oh cool! Thanks so much. I multiplied 1.8558 by 5 and the other number by 2 to get 9.28. I mean, I could multiply the one with 1.8558 by 2.5 to get 4.6398 secs, since by the time the longer pendulum swings the short one will have completed 2.5 cycles. but maybe the problem with that is that you can't have .5 of cycle ...so yeah. ...that is why I am multiplying it by whole numbers, right?

1. What is the purpose of studying the synchronized oscillation of two pendulums?

The purpose of studying the synchronized oscillation of two pendulums is to understand the principles of coupled oscillators and how they interact with each other. This can have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. How do you set up an experiment to study the synchronized oscillation of two pendulums?

To set up an experiment, you will need two identical pendulums with the same length and mass. They should also be suspended from a stable support and have a small amount of friction. The pendulums should be started at different angles and released simultaneously.

3. What factors affect the synchronization of two pendulums?

The synchronization of two pendulums can be affected by factors such as the length and mass of the pendulums, the initial conditions, and the amount of friction present. External forces such as air resistance or vibrations can also impact synchronization.

4. How is the synchronized motion of two pendulums mathematically described?

The synchronized motion of two pendulums can be described mathematically using the concept of coupled oscillators. This involves solving a system of differential equations that represent the motion of the two pendulums in relation to each other.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the synchronized oscillation of two pendulums?

Understanding the synchronized oscillation of two pendulums has applications in fields such as clock synchronization, coupled electrical circuits, and even the behavior of fireflies. It can also help in the design of structures that are resistant to vibrations and oscillations.