Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I HATE Rollover ads

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I HATE Rollover ads!!

Don't you hate these god awful advertisements on websites and programs?? WHO INVENTED THEM!??!?!? They're the ads that pop out at you simply by moving your mouse over it. Hell, 99% of the time I never notice its a rollover ad until my mouse wanders over it and BOOM, ad all over your face. What a pain!!!!

*rant over*

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: I HATE Rollover ads!!

I hate those, but not as much as the ones with sound.

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Adblock is your friend. :wink:

5. Sep 19, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I second your rant. :grumpy:

I keep the sound off - and only turn it on when listening to a video or audio clip.

I find nearly all adds very annoying and obnoxious - and I am much less likely to consider a product when an associated add is obnoxious. I don't watch commercial TV (except on rare occasions) or listen to commercial radio precisely because of the stupid adds and loud obnoxious personalities. On the rare occasions I do watch (or listen to) a commercial station - I'll either leave the room during commercials and/or mute the sound.

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5

Just yesterday I was browsing for something with three windows open and then next thing I knew there was some audio ad playing. I looked at my various tabs to try to figure out which it was coming from but there were not any images on any of the tabs that appeared to have anything to do with what I was hearing. I never figured out where it was coming from.

7. Sep 20, 2009 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Turn off Javascript and popups in your browser except the websites where you need them. That will stop most of them. There are also ways of eliminating 99% of all advertisements but, I don't think Greg would appreciate me posting that here. :smile:

8. Sep 20, 2009 #7

The new Yahoo! update is the worst for that...

I think everything on the freakin page is rollover...

9. Sep 21, 2009 #8

I keep the speakers on my computer muted unless there's something I really want to hear.

10. Sep 21, 2009 #9

Same here, much better than to hear some annoying sound coming form your computer...

11. Sep 21, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Worst of all are the ill-behaved ads that take you right to the content you are trying to avoid when you try to close the ad. I often search for lyrics, etc, and I swear that the music-related sites are the kings of mal-ware.

12. Sep 21, 2009 #11

Firefox with NoScript FTW! The Internet is a much more comfortable experience with this add-on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook