Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I hate that stupid game

1. Dec 20, 2004 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know the one. You have to bring a wrapped gift for the office holiday party, then you draw a number, and when your number comes up you have to pick a gift or steal one from somebody.

Does anyone want a USC mug?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I hate that!!!!!! :grumpy:

My boss just gave me a box of the most exquisite chocolate raspberry truffles that I have ever eaten. :!!)

4. Dec 20, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I know the one you're talking about! It can be fun if you have the right group of people and enough decent gifts worth stealing (or enough people who just want to steal gifts even if they aren't decent). We used to do that in our dept when I was a grad student. A few six-packs of good beer were included in the gifts, so those were certainly coveted, and for some strange reason, a velvet Elvis painting thing showed up every year! That actually would exchange a lot of hands, mostly because it had turned into a running joke...and the last person to get it didn't have to think of a gift for the following year because they'd just save the velvet Elvis and bring it back again! It also worked best when, instead of a limit on how many people you could steal from or how many times back and forth you could go with the same present, we just set a 3 min time limit...kind of like hot potato meets the white elephant. People would be chasing each other around the room in what was much like a game of tag to keep their hands on the coveted 6-pack!

But, since then, I've never done that with another group that has truly embraced the spirit of the game enough to make it any fun. Usually the gifts were just too atrocious for anyone to bother trying to steal them.

5. Dec 20, 2004 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmmm... I like the tag version of it!! that makes things completely different. :approve:

we actually played a reasonably fun version of it last night at a friend's party. There were no "good" gifts - everyone brought true white elephants (mostly the crap they got from their own gift exchanges at work). But the funny thing is .. I actually got something I wanted! I happened to pick a calculator, and since I collect them - it was perfect. And for the first time ever, no one stole it from me just to "burn my biscuits"!!

6. Dec 20, 2004 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:smile: NICE boss!!!!!! :smile:

7. Dec 20, 2004 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

I'll trade you a USC mug or raspberry truffles for my Christmas Colon Care Kit! :rofl:

8. Dec 20, 2004 #7
    ---deleted---
    *asinine question*

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2004
  9. Dec 20, 2004 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well, I guess you don't have to worry about anyone stealing that prezzie from you! :biggrin:

Anyone else get any crappy gifts?

10. Dec 20, 2004 #9
    I just got people in my martial arts class candy. I knew two of them would like chocolate. I totally guessed at the other three.

11. Dec 20, 2004 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what did you get the other 3?

12. Dec 20, 2004 #11
    Chocolate, of course. You know the huge cane shaped container that holds Hershey's Kisses. I gave one girl a bag of Reese's Pieces which she actually told me that she loved. I actually thought my martial arts instructor would like it as he can do Hapkido techniques with it (Hapkido has cane techniques).

13. Dec 20, 2004 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Smart move! It's hard to go wrong with chocolate. You just have to make sure no one is diabetic - else you have to get the sugar-free kind.

14. Dec 20, 2004 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint, if you ever get sugar-free chocolate, don't eat too much! One of my friends learned the hard way. It has that undigestable sugar in it...she had to take a sick day.

15. Dec 20, 2004 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Damn straight! it's almost as good as Tsu's "Clean Colon Kit"!

16. Dec 20, 2004 #15
    Yep. Those sugar alcoholics get you every time.

I don't think any of them are. They were recently given fudge and I heard nothing wrong with that. I guess I'll hear something Wednesday.

17. Dec 21, 2004 #16
    I've done a bit of thinking and I might do the same thing for some people at work (mostly the girls). Is that also a smart move?

18. Dec 21, 2004 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmmm... I think you should save that for Valentine's Day. They will lo-o-ove you for it! :!!)
    But it would be nice if you gave them holiday cards for Christmas/Solstice or whatever the kids are calling it these days.

19. Dec 21, 2004 #18
    I was going to do that for Valentine's anyway.

That may not be a bad idea with the cards. I can get their addresses from work (I've done it before when one of them had a car accident). But it may be a bit late for that. I don't know.

20. Dec 21, 2004 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

sometimes I think you might be the nicest person on the planet o:)

21. Dec 21, 2004 #20
    I've noticed most of the girls I know say that. I'm not exactly sure if that's totally good or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?