Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I hate this

1. Dec 14, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the worst aspects of rural living has been the power outages. Once again, here I sit by lantern light wondering if this will take one or two hours, or two days. :grumpy: I can fire up the generator if needed, but that's only enough power to run the smaller appliances. If it gets much colder, I may have to fire up the wood stove.

I didn't know that we were going to have a wind storm. It is really howling out there and I did nothing to prepare. :yuck: Also, I think our shiny new local power lines lured me into a false sense of security.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's pretty remarkable that you manage to surf PF without any power. (Laptop battery?)

It looks like the pacific northwest is getting pretty much hammered this week.

- Warren

4. Dec 14, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hamster power! :biggrin:

I'd hate to have the power go out in winter. I don't mind so much in summer (I grew up accustomed to power outages every thunderstorm, and as long as it's warm and you have a BBQ, you can deal with it). At least you have a wood stove to keep warm!

5. Dec 14, 2006 #4

ranger

Gold Member

In NYC its a big deal if power goes out for a few minutes, let alone a few hours. I cant even remember the last time we had a power outage.

6. Dec 14, 2006 #5
    I can, and I don't even live there!

7. Dec 14, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Yeah, it's on the news every time there's a power failure in NYC.

8. Dec 14, 2006 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only reason that they're new and shiny is that they get replaced so often due to damage :biggrin:

9. Dec 14, 2006 #8
    I feel your pain, the power is always going out at our farm. I remember a few years ago in the winter we lost power for 3 days, no generator no nothing, luckily we have a gas stove so we could at least use that to cook. Worst part is that no power means no water, so you can't even use the shower...ick

10. Dec 14, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Try August 14, 2003 some time just after 1600 ( 4 pm). It was about that time when the lights dimmed and my PC's shutdown as we had a voltage drop. The power stablized for a few seconds and then went out. We then learned the street, then neighborhood was out. Then we learned the state was out, and finally the entire northeast US and parts of Ontario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_North_America_blackout

We were without power for about 36 hrs, and others were days without power.

11. Dec 14, 2006 #10
    Ivan,

Where's that old pioneer spirit? Break the ice on the pond for a bracing bath. Dip tallow for winter's candles. Be thankful that at least you have a thundermug!

12. Dec 14, 2006 #11

jtbell

Around here we use gerbils. When our server bogged down during a lab in the programming class that I used to teach, I sometimes said, "looks like someone forgot to feed the gerbils again."

Just pile on the blankets, wear a warmup suit for pajamas, and make sure you have someone else in bed with you. :smile: That's how my wife and I got through two nights without power after a blizzard knocked out our town completely a few years ago. It helped that our water heater uses natural gas instead of electricity, so at least we had hot water!

13. Dec 15, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, laptop battery and dial-up. I don't even own a tower. Normally we're on DSL modems, but I keep the dial-up account for travel and emergencies.

We are getting hammered and there is much more to come. Luckily this outage only lasted a couple of hours. I ended up running into town and the power was on when I got home.

In the past it used to be much worse, but in recent years it hasn't been so bad. Hopefully the days of losing power every time the wind blows are over. Turns out that this was a fairly expansive outage so it got fixed quickly. If the problem is on a minor line, it can take a long time before they make it out; esp when there are other areas going down.

The neighbors tell me that about five years before we bought this place, this area lost power for ten days during freezing weather!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  14. Dec 15, 2006 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you noticed that the pioneers are all dead? You see where that kind of thing will get you? :biggrin:

15. Dec 15, 2006 #14
    You get those freaky low pressure systems there. A friend of mine lives on the northern coast, she pays more attention to her barometer then to her thermometer.
    Glad to her you got power back, the sense of adventure is not so much fun when your cold.

16. Dec 15, 2006 #15
    I live on a boat with no power but that which i generate. Laptop, lighting, cellphone charger and radio is powered by 330 amp hours of 12 volt lead acid powered by a wind gen and the boat's engine. Wind is a good thing for power!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  17. Dec 15, 2006 #16

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I live on a sparsely-populated back road, so when there is a wind storm in the forecast, we fill lots of jugs with drinking water (we have a well with a submersible pump) and get the generator ready (power cords to critical or nice-to-have equipment). I was told by a lineman for the power company that our road is about the last place in town that will get power back when there are widespread outages. He wasn't lying. That's OK. We have a gas stove for cooking, a gas water heater, and a wood stove (our primary heat source).

18. Dec 15, 2006 #17

Evo

Wow, quite a storm Ivan, 100 mph winds and three dead. How did you fare?

19. Dec 15, 2006 #18

turbo

Gold Member

If you haven't lost power again, you're among the lucky ones. I don't know how accurate the reporting is, but it seems that at least a million customers are without power and many may not get it back for days. Good luck.

20. Dec 15, 2006 #19

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would have been nice to know before you bought the farm, er place... :)

21. Dec 15, 2006 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think we're in pretty good shape but it does look like a war zone out there. I guess Integral lost a patch of roof.

I worry most about heavy winds when the ground is saturated. We still have a couple of trees that could take out the house. Last month we had fifteen inches of rain and it hasn't let up yet, so that was a very dangerous storm in part because of the timing.

I did hear a very loud crack at one point so something took a hit. :uhh:

Turbo, I have much the same routine, but since we have no gas out here, we keep the woodstove for heat and cooking, in a pinch. We can run on the generator but it's only 5KW, and it is quite an ordeal to break into the line. I don't bother unless we know that it will be long outage.

The first time that I heard about the ten day outage was when we first looked at houses in area. Back then we had more of a pioneering spirit! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?