1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a couple question I need help with atomic physics

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    According to Maxwells laws of electromagnetism:
    If an electron spirals into the nucleus:
    1. what would happen to the electron’s orbital frequency?
    2. what would happen to the frequency of the emitted radiation? and
    3. what kind of spectrum would be produced—a continuous or line spectrum? Explain.

2. Relevant equations are:

Angular frequency = 80ce1126e4146b562fd459501dcf6221.png (f is also written with the symbol of speed, v)

Circular motion = [PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/9/d/1/9d1cb34656f4ed9ce94952c445bcaa90.png[/B] [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure if these answers are correct but:

1. The electrons orbital frequency would increase because the orbit gets smaller and smaller as the relationship between the frequency and the radius is inversely proportional.
    2. The frequency of the emitted frequency will also decrease because according to Maxwell's law of electromagnetism the orbital frequency of a electron will match up with the frequency of the emitted radiation.
    3. If an electron spirals into the nucleus, a line spectrum would be produced. This is due to the fact that electron energy is quantized and it needs to release a set amount of energy in order to go down to the previous energy level.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3
    Thank you for you help SteamKing

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4
    You have a bit of a conflict between your reasoning for (a) and (c).
    In (c) you say that the emitted energy is quantized, but if this is the case then
    the electron reaches a point where it cannot fall into the nucleus because
    it cannot obtain the energy to emit the photon.
    Also, if the electron is "spiraling" what does that imply about the emitted radiation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted