Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a favor to ask of you physics geniuses

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, but here goes anyway.

I'm writing a story, and I won't bore you with details other than the fact that the story revolves around extremely intelligent people. In one scene, I want to "show off" their intelligence by having two characters discussing quantum physics in an effortless manner. The thing is, I know nothing about quantum physics, and I was hoping you guys could help. I know you probably have more important things to do, but if anyone could help, I would really appreciate it!

What I'm looking for is basically a lengthy (about 2 or 3 pages when written in screenplay format) friendly argument between 2 characters about any topic, physics or science-related. Bonus points if you can make one character "beat" the other one in the argument.

Like I said, I know you probably have more important things to do than come up with a scripted physics discussion, but I would really really really appreciate you for helping! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So, let me get this straight ... you're not asking for information on QM to further your research towards your screenplay, you are asking someone here to WRITE your screenplay, yes? This way you not only don't have to do any research on QM, you don't even have to write that part.

Good luck with that.

4. Dec 20, 2011 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems like a really broad request. "Quantum physics" is quite a broad subject. Some popular topics of discussion include: Schrodinger's cat (very popular), the Bell Inequalities and the EPR paradox, the two slit experiment (and various modifications of it e.g. the Aharonov-Bohm effect), the Stern-Gerlach experiment, and the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle. Maybe you can look into these and see if any of these interest you or could work in your writing.

Somewhat more esoteric topics off the top of my head include: quark confinement, renormalizability (e.g. why is the Yang-Mills theory renormalizable but quantum gravity is not), loop quantum gravity vs string type theories (neither has been proven to reproduce the standard model), inflation and the inflaton field and reheating, supersymmetry (does it exist?), the holographic principle, baryogenesis (the production of matter vs anti-matter), and the black-hole information paradox (including the Hawking effect).

A lot of the ones in the second paragraph don't have solutions, but if you're writing a work of fiction, you can take them in whatever direction you want.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  5. Dec 20, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Closed per member request. We don't delete posts that have responses, but no futher posts can be made.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook