What are 5 unique characteristics of germanium-72?

• Thread starter kevinlikesphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding five facts about germanium-72 and its atomic mass and composition. The facts mentioned include its melting point, appearance, classification as a metalloid, its nickname given by Dmitri Ivanovich Mendeleev, and its atomic number. However, it is mentioned that these facts may pertain to naturally-occurring germanium and not specifically to germanium-72. The conversation concludes with a reminder to put in effort before asking for help and a question about finding specific information on germanium-72.
kevinlikesphysics
i have to find 5 facts about germanium-72. Does the 72 atomic mass change it chemically or just the neutron weight. I am not sure what my teacher is looking for by asking for five facts. In the book it says eka silicone...does that mean silicone is made of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i put it has a melting point of 945 deg celcious it has a grey metal appearance it is a metalloid it was given the nickname eka silicone by dmitri ivanovich mendeleev and its atomic number is 32 are those correct?

This is clearly a homework question. Note that we do not do students homework for them here at PF: in future, you need to show some effort before we will help you.

How was i not putting forth effort? They are listed in my second post and I simply do not know if they are correct. I didn't ask anywhere for anyone to post me 5 facts. Your post is rude and unhelpful.

kevinlikesphysics said:
i put it has a melting point of 945 deg celcious it has a grey metal appearance it is a metalloid it was given the nickname eka silicone by dmitri ivanovich mendeleev and its atomic number is 32 are those correct?

Close enough. Those facts are for naturally-occurring germanium, not just germanium-72. Have you found anything specific to germanium-72?

1. What is germanium?

Germanium is a chemical element with the symbol Ge and atomic number 32. It is a hard, grayish-white metalloid that is commonly used in electronics and optical devices.

2. Why is germanium important in science?

Germanium is important in science because it has unique properties that make it useful in a variety of applications. It is a semiconductor, meaning it can conduct electricity but also act as an insulator. It is also transparent to infrared radiation, making it useful in infrared spectroscopes and lenses.

3. How is germanium used in technology?

Germanium is commonly used in the production of transistors and other electronic devices. It is also used in the production of solar cells, infrared detectors, and fiber optic cables. It can also be used as a catalyst in certain chemical reactions.

4. Is germanium a rare element?

Germanium is considered a relatively rare element, making up only 0.0007% of the Earth's crust. However, it is more abundant than other elements used in electronics, such as silver and gold. It can also be extracted from coal, zinc ores, and other minerals.

5. Are there any health risks associated with germanium?

While germanium is generally considered a safe element, there have been some concerns about its toxicity in large doses. Ingesting large amounts of germanium can cause kidney damage and other health issues. However, the levels found in everyday products are considered safe for human use.