Can I Take Nyquil for a Headache?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, a person is experiencing a headache and is trying to decide whether to take Nyquil or go to the store for aspirin. They receive advice to drink water and rest instead, and are warned about potential dangers of taking certain medications.
tribdog
I have a headache. I don't have any aspirin but I do have a bottle of Nyquil. can I take a shot of Nyquil or should I drag myself over to the store and get some aspirin? I really don't want to drag myself over to the store.

Physics news on Phys.org
too late, I'm sick of waiting. I'm taking a shot of Nyquil

Nyquil is fine for a headache, as you apparently know by now. :biggrin:

You don't need anything. The pain is all in your head.

BobG said:
You don't need anything. The pain is all in your head.

:rofl:

before you take anything, why don't you drink a couple big glasses of water and lay down for an hour. 9 times out of 10 this works for me.

fileen said:
before you take anything, why don't you drink a couple big glasses of water and lay down for an hour. 9 times out of 10 this works for me.

Actually, this is good advice. It takes care of at least two things that could cause a headache: dehydration and tense muscles.

Even better is to drink that magic water from the spray bottles the medics use in soccer matches. That water seems to be able to cure anything.

Watch out for dark purple splotches on your skin. If you see those, you'll be dead in four hours.

sysreset said:
Watch out for dark purple splotches on your skin. If you see those, you'll be dead in four hours.
:rofl:

I mean..oh dear. :bugeye:

1. Can I take Nyquil for a headache if I am already taking other medications?

It is important to consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking Nyquil for a headache if you are already taking other medications. This is because Nyquil contains ingredients that may interact with other medications, leading to potentially harmful effects. Your doctor or pharmacist can advise you on whether it is safe for you to take Nyquil for your headache along with your other medications.

2. Can I take Nyquil for a headache if I have a history of liver or kidney problems?

If you have a history of liver or kidney problems, it is important to consult with your doctor before taking Nyquil for a headache. This is because Nyquil contains acetaminophen, which can be harmful to the liver and kidneys if taken in high doses or in combination with other medications that also contain acetaminophen. Your doctor can advise you on whether it is safe for you to take Nyquil for your headache.

3. How long should I wait to take Nyquil for a headache after drinking alcohol?

It is recommended to wait at least 4-6 hours after consuming alcohol before taking Nyquil for a headache. This is because alcohol can increase the sedative effects of Nyquil, leading to excessive drowsiness and potential risks. It is important to always follow the recommended dosages and precautions listed on the Nyquil packaging.

4. Can children take Nyquil for a headache?

No, Nyquil is not recommended for children under the age of 12. It contains ingredients that may be harmful to children, and there are other over-the-counter medications specifically formulated for children's headaches. It is important to consult with a pediatrician before giving any medication to a child for a headache.

5. Can I take Nyquil for a headache if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

It is important to consult with your doctor before taking Nyquil for a headache if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The effects of Nyquil during pregnancy and breastfeeding have not been extensively studied, so it is important to weigh the potential risks and benefits with your doctor before taking it for a headache. It is also important to note that Nyquil may pass into breast milk and could affect a nursing baby.