1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a hertzian dipole at the origin

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a hertzian dipole at the origin, generating a signal. Nearby in empty space there is a loop, at a position vector r=(50m)ezz which can detect this signal.

2. Relevant equations
    I have the equation B(t) = B0 sin (2*pi*ft)ex which I understand is the signal emitted by the dipole.

I know that along the z-axis (where the dipole is oriented) there is no magnetic field generated by the electric field & that along the equatorial plane it will be maximum.

It should be specified in spherical coordinates & dipole symmetry means the magnitude of the field is independent of radial angle, Ø. The emitted signal is dependent on angle, θ, though.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The loop obviously receives the signal, causing a small current to flow in it, hence it can be measured.

How does the orientation of the loop affect the detection of the signal? Could I explain it in terms of the same equation (above)?
    I'm not sure . . . . . . . .
    Could someone clarify this please.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted