1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a Math Question about Circles

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    Here it is:
    A circle with center (–3,4) is tangent to the x-axis in the standard (x,y) coordinate plane. What is the radius of this circle?

I have no idea where to start. I know there is some rule about tangency and circles, but I am unsure. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it's tangent to the x-axis, then it touches the x-axis at precisely one point. Try drawing a circle and you should be able to figure out which point it touches the x-axis at

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3
    You really dont even need to draw a circle; you should be able to intuit the answer. If the mp is (-3,4) and it only touches 1 point on the x-axis, what is the radius. Isnt the (sort of in this case) definition of radius a ray as a line starting from a (mid)point and going infinitiely in one direction, in this case until it touches the axis? Then how far is that?

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A radius is always perpendicular to a tangent line. Here, the x-axis is a tangent line. Therefore, a radius must be perpendicular to the x-axis. If the center is at (-3, 4), what is the other end of that radius? How long is it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook