Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a new job

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

I have a new job!!

WOOO!!

I start on the 30th for over £3000 a year more than what I am earning at the moment! I will be a trainee branch manager for a building supplier's firm. It's not like a DIY store, it's for proper tradespeople. Just gotta hand my notice in at work, though apparently I'm supposed to give a months notice. However I should be allowed to quit when I want right? I'm not owed any holiday so I have nothing else to hang onto.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2
    If you are supposed to give a months notice, then you give a months notice.

4. Mar 12, 2006 #3
    I thought you currently didn't have a job.

5. Mar 12, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Congratulations on the new job.

However, if you are 'required' to give a months notice, then please do so.

It is the right, fair and honorable thing to do. :cool:

6. Mar 12, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure how it works in the US, but I always thought you can just stop showing up. Call in sick, and do anything.

Sure, the consequences might not be good because it's unethical, and you know you can never fall back on the old job.

7. Mar 12, 2006 #6
    You can, if your a scumbag.

8. Mar 12, 2006 #7

Astronuc

In the US, it's typically two weeks notice or whatever one's employment contract stipulates. I gave a little more than two weeks notice when I left my last job (about 8 years ago). Then they ended up hiring me for about two weeks to do a job. I left on good terms though - and they periodically asked me to return.

9. Mar 13, 2006 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

Congrats on your new job!:devil:<----(because you don't talk to nice girls)

10. Mar 13, 2006 #9
    Yeah I don't get the whole 2 weeks issue. I mean I guess it gives the employer some time, but if you don't like your job, and you want to quit, why not quit?

Ohh, and congrats on the new job :smile:

11. Mar 13, 2006 #10
    Congrats with the new job -

I would try to give a month's notice, but if you know your managers well and everything, just explain the situation and why you can't give a month's notice.

12. Mar 13, 2006 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

Well scott was right, I didn't have a job. In all honesty I was sacked for something so stupid and pathetic, so I appealed and got my job back. But I don't see why I should be honourable to them because they treated me like crap then, and they are pushing my patience now already.

I'm sure in UK employment law you are entitled to leave when you want but if you leave before your notice is up, then you have your holiday entitlement taken away.

13. Mar 13, 2006 #12

Astronuc

That is one of the great challenges in Life.

Be not like those one disdains, nor those whom disdain one.

14. Mar 13, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess you have to be practical to some extent here too. Can your new employer wait 1 month for you to start? If not, you need to think about getting and keeping the new job more than keeping an old employer happy (unless you're going to need letters of reference from them some day). If it's a matter of losing your holiday entitlements, then it's probably worth giving that up to secure something that's going to be better for you in the long run. If your current employer already fired you once, it suggests they think they can manage without you, so it's not the same as someone in a critical position leaving without time for them to hire and/or train their replacement. Don't walk out at the drop of a hat, but give them as much notice as you can. Find out when the new employer needs you to start, and then give notice as soon as you know that date.

15. Mar 14, 2006 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

Some wise words moonbear. I know they are keen for me to start on the 30th, because that day they are doing a stock count or something and it would be a huge experience. I don't want to push my luck with the new employer because they know I have holiday booked already two weeks in to when I'm supposed to start. The only thing stopping me at the moment from handing my notice in, is that I haven't got written confirmation from my new employer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?