What Does 'Per MeV' Mean in Muon Energy Loss Calculations?

• Thread starter stakhanov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of units when calculating energy loss of muons in matter. The equation used gives an answer in units of g/cm^2/MeV, but the question arises on how to convert this into a more practical unit of measurement, such as cm/MeV or meters. The concept of MeV, or million electron volts, is explained as a convenient unit when dealing with particles.
stakhanov
I have a problem with units...

I have been looking at energy loss of muons in matter (from both ionizations and radition processes like bremsstrahlung). I have used an equation for the mean energy loss (for a muon of specified energy in a specified material) which gives an answer in units of g/cm^2/MeV. I am ok with converting this to cm/MeV I think (just divide by the density), but my problem is what does the 'per MeV' bit mean?

I have 50GeV muons going into concrete and from what I have read the mean range is ~45m. The equation I am using gives me an answer of 6.58cm/MeV (or 16.44g/cm^2/MeV) and I'm puzzling over how this gets converted into 45m.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
MeV is million electron volts. Electron volts is the energy to raise a electron of charge through 1 volt and so 1ev= 1.6E-19J ( ie the charge on the electron in Coloumbs)
It is a more convenient sized unit of energy and mass when dealing with particles.

It seems like you are struggling with unit conversions in your calculations. Let me try to explain it in simpler terms. The units of g/cm^2/MeV are a measure of energy loss per distance traveled by the muon, per unit energy. So, for every MeV of energy lost, the muon travels 6.58cm through the material. This is the average value, and it may vary depending on the specific energy of the muon and the material it is traveling through.

To convert this to a distance traveled, you can use the fact that energy is directly proportional to distance traveled. This means that for every increase in energy, there is a corresponding increase in distance traveled. So, if you have a muon with an energy of 50GeV, and you want to know how far it will travel in concrete, you can use the following equation:

Distance traveled = Energy lost / Energy per distance

In this case, the energy per distance is 6.58cm/MeV. So, for a muon with an energy of 50GeV, the distance traveled would be:

Distance traveled = 50GeV / 6.58cm/MeV = 7.6m

This means that the muon will travel approximately 7.6m through concrete before losing all of its energy. Keep in mind that this is an average value and may vary depending on the specific conditions.

I hope this helps clarify the units and conversions for you. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to consult with a physics tutor or your instructor for further assistance. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What are units and why are they important in science?

Units are standardized measurements used in science to quantify and compare physical quantities. They are important because they allow scientists to communicate and understand data accurately and precisely.

2. How can I convert between different units?

To convert between units, you can use conversion factors or equations. It is important to make sure that the units are cancelled out correctly and the final unit is appropriate for the quantity being measured.

3. What are the SI units and why are they commonly used in science?

The International System of Units (SI) is a standardized system of measurements used in science. It is based on seven base units, including the meter, kilogram, and second. SI units are commonly used because they are internationally recognized and allow for consistency and accuracy in scientific measurements.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes with units in my experiments?

To avoid mistakes with units, it is important to always double-check the units used in calculations and make sure they are appropriate for the quantity being measured. It is also helpful to label all measurements and units clearly in your data collection.

5. Can I mix and match units in my calculations?

No, it is not appropriate to mix and match units in calculations. Units should always be consistent and converted to the same unit before performing calculations. This ensures accuracy and avoids errors in data analysis.