1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a problem with units

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    I have a problem with units....

I have been looking at energy loss of muons in matter (from both ionizations and radition processes like bremsstrahlung). I have used an equation for the mean energy loss (for a muon of specified energy in a specified material) which gives an answer in units of g/cm^2/MeV. I am ok with converting this to cm/MeV I think (just divide by the density), but my problem is what does the 'per MeV' bit mean?

I have 50GeV muons going into concrete and from what I have read the mean range is ~45m. The equation I am using gives me an answer of 6.58cm/MeV (or 16.44g/cm^2/MeV) and I'm puzzling over how this gets converted into 45m.

Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

MeV is million electron volts. Electron volts is the energy to raise a electron of charge through 1 volt and so 1ev= 1.6E-19J ( ie the charge on the electron in Coloumbs)
    It is a more convenient sized unit of energy and mass when dealing with particles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?