1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a question about a concave mirror where the focal point is on the outside.

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    I know that when the focal point is in the inside of a concave mirror. The focal point is greater than zero, and the radius is greater than zero and the lateral magnification is greater than zero.

So if the focal point is on the outside of this concave mirror. Would the focal point be less than zero, and would the radius be less than zero, and would the lateral magnification be less than zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry not sure what you mean, the focal length of a concave mirror is half the radius of curvature.

see http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/class/refln/u13l3a.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook