Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a question about spiders

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    I don't know why, but lately this town is infested with spiders. They are shaped exactly like black widows and they even have an hourglass on their bellies. The only problem is that they are brown not black and the hourglass is a dull brownish pink. Do black widows change color right before they molt? I can't believe how many of them there are around lately. Every thing you pick up off the ground has one under it and every door frame or corner has one building a web in it. As a little experiment I picked a little 5x5 area and searched it for spiders and I found 7 and there was nothing special about that area.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    Any picture I took would look exactly like the ones on the link you gave. I'd never heard of a brown widow spider, but that's exactly what it is.

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, get in close for a good shot ... closer, closer ... a little more ... almost there, move a little closer to the nice venomous black widow please ..."

o:)

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No no no, it's the brown widow. :biggrin: Quite lovely to read that its venom is considered twice as potent as a black widow. (And today, my students actually accused me of being sarcastic...hard to believe, isn't it?)

7. Sep 18, 2009 #6
    Just take extra caution when putting your hand into cramped areas... or under wood etc. they LOVE these areas. Also in the attic they aren't exactly dangerous to an adult human... i'd watch out for children and make sure that they know not to play or bother them.

If you do get bitten by any spider the best thing to do is capture it and bring it to the hospital. :)

8. Sep 18, 2009 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't know hospitals treat spiders.

9. Sep 18, 2009 #8
    haha. I meant bring it with you to the hospital. So they can quickly identify it.

10. Sep 18, 2009 #9
    I killed two spiders yesterday - first thing I do whenever I see anything like that.

11. Sep 18, 2009 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would only do that for venomous spiders inside the house. The townhouse I lived in before I moved used to have LOTS of spiders when I first moved in. I didn't mind, since they mostly hung out around the doors and not near where I was sitting. Then I got a nitwit next door who didn't like spiders and demanded the landlord call an exterminator to get rid of the spiders. I refused to let them into my unit, but they still killed a substantial number around the outside. GRRRRR!!!! That was the year the ants started to invade! A healthy population of spiders means there is a healthy population of some other type of insect that they are snacking on. As long as the spiders stay out of the bedroom and bathroom, I am more than willing to let them munch on the other bugs.

12. Sep 18, 2009 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Capture it? Squish that mofo. Then make him suck his own poison back out of your system.

It worked for me once. I remember the time vividly because everything was rainbow tie-dyed for the next six to twelve hours

13. Sep 18, 2009 #12
    well there are spiders out there that can be quite dangerous to even a full grown human... i guess if u squish it but maintain a semblance of what it looks like you'll be in perfect conditino

14. Sep 18, 2009 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, if it bites you, don't squish it so much that it's not identifiable. Toss it in a jar of alcohol...that'll kill it but also preserve it well enough for the docs at the ER to identify it and know how to treat you.

15. Sep 18, 2009 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonie, are doctors taught how to identify spiders? Or would they just use Google?

16. Sep 18, 2009 #15

Astronuc

Maybe - is it dark brown or light brown. Perhaps it's a brown variant - but the black widows I've seen were shiny black. Really cool looking creatures - and fast!

17. Sep 19, 2009 #16
    I've also noticed an abundance of spiders this summer.

I've never had as many as this year (2 or 3 per day), and they're much larger than normal with 2" legs and bodies the size of a pencil eraser.

Even more perplexing, I can't figure out how they're getting into the house. I haven't really noticed any webs either - they're just crawling on the walls. That probably sounds a little more creepy than is the case.:yuck:

18. Sep 19, 2009 #17

russ_watters

You? Sarcastic? Noooooo......!

19. Sep 19, 2009 #18
    We always get spiders around here about this time of year. I wind up walking into spider webs so much I feel like Gwen Stefanie.

20. Sep 19, 2009 #19
    Oooo, brown black-widows. Cool!

I've had a lot more spiders around my house this year too. I try to transplant the nice looking ones outside, but they keep finding their way back to my bathroom.

21. Sep 19, 2009 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They do end up learning the common ones in their area if they work in an ER, but they can also contact an expert and send a photo rather than wasting time hunting on google.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook