Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I have a question I need help with (acceleration)

1. Jun 25, 2004 #1
    I have a question I need help with

I am having trouble figuring out what to do with this problem. Can anyone help?

An automobile starts from rest and accelerates to a final velocity in two stages along a straight road.Each stage occupies the same time. In stage 1, the magnitude of the car's acceleration is 3.0 m/s^2. The magnitude of the car's velocity at the end of stage 2 is 2.5 times greater than it is at the end of stage 1. Find the magnitude of the acceleration in stage 2.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2004 #2
    2.5*(3t) = 3t + a * (t)
    7.5t - 3t = at
    4.5t = at
    a = 4.5

wow, i hope i didn't make any mistakes.

edit: i did lol, too late for me. such sillyness. (rechecks my stats homework)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  4. Jun 25, 2004 #3
    Stage one:
    V = ?, u = 0, a = 3ms^-2, t=t
    v=u+at
    ?=3t

Velocity at end = 2.5(3t) = 7.5T

Stage two:
    U = 3t, V = 7.5t, a = ?, t=t
    v = u + at
    7.5t = 3t + at
    divide through by t
    7.5=3+a
    a=7.5-3
    a=4.5ms^-2

Where U = speed at the beggining of the stage, V = Final speed, T = time, a = acceleration.
    Kinematics is fun, don't be afraid to leave things as unknowns in algebraic form if you have to compile information in two stages. A lot of examination 'proof' questions will ask for this.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook