Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a question

1. Jun 19, 2010 #1
    Question:

Is the following mathematical argument algebraically valid:

sqrt(-1) x sqrt(-1) = [sqrt(-1)]2 = -1

I know sqrt(-1) is a complex number, I just want to know if the argument above is valid.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2010 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it's valid.

There is one subtlety: there are two numbers whose square is -1, namely [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]-i[/itex].

Your argument works fine if you choose sqrt(-1) = [itex]i[/itex]:

[tex]\sqrt{-1} \times \sqrt{-1} = i \times i = i^2 = -1[/tex]

and equally well if you choose sqrt(-1) = [itex]-i[/itex]:

[tex]\sqrt{-1} \times \sqrt{-1} = (-i) \times (-i) = (-i)^2 = -1[/tex]

But what happens if I choose sqrt(-1) = [itex]i[/itex] for one of the square roots, and sqrt(-1) = [itex]-i[/itex] for the other one? Then I get

[tex]\sqrt{-1} \times \sqrt{-1} = (i) \times (-i) = -(i^2) = 1[/tex]

Uh oh!

4. Jun 19, 2010 #3
    LOL @ "uh oh!"

Thanks. I actually just searched through the threads and see that this question has been asked several times in different ways. But it make sense now. Thanks again.

5. Jun 19, 2010 #4
    That so I was told, is the reason for i. Then the matter becomes [tex]\sqrt(-1)x\sqrt(-1) = i^2 = -1.[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  6. Jun 20, 2010 #5
    The point is that you have to define sqrt() to be a function, i.e. return only one value. I think this is called principal value. Then your calculations works. You just have to remember that [itex]sqrt(x^2)\neq x[/itex] in general.

But I'm not completely sure about this Riemann surface business and what it's for :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook