Becoming a Space Scientist at 13 - Advice

• Thread starter GoldenDarkness
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is interested in space and wants to become a scientist specializing in stars, planets, black holes, galaxies, and the possibility of life in space. They are 13 years old and not a native English speaker. They are seeking advice on which disciplines to choose and the expert suggests astrophysics, astrobiology or xeno-biology. When asked about the biggest foundation for astrophysical studies, the expert mentions NASA as it deals with space exploration, while CERN specializes in particle physics. The expert recommends looking into major universities such as Princeton, Harvard, MIT, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UT Austin, and esteemed universities in other countries.
GoldenDarkness
I am interested in space. I want to become a great scientist and work on stars, planets, black holes, galaxies and possibility of life in space. Which disciplines would be correct for me to choose?

By the way i am 13 years old and not a native speaker. Sorry for my bad english.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for answering my question.

What is the biggest foundation for astrophysical studies? CERN or NASA?

I'd have to say NASA as it deals with issues of space travel and space exploration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA

vs CERN which specializes in particle physics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN

for your interest you probably need to look into major universities like Princeton, Harvard or MIT or UCLA, or UC Berkeley or even UT at Austin. There are other esteemed universities in UK and in Europe and other countries as well.

Thanks again.

1. How can I become a space scientist at 13?

To become a space scientist at the age of 13, you can start by developing a strong foundation in math and science subjects in school. You can also participate in science fairs, join science clubs, and attend workshops or camps related to space science. Additionally, you can reach out to local space organizations or universities for mentorship opportunities and internships.

2. What skills are important for a space scientist?

Some important skills for a space scientist include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. It is also essential to have a deep understanding of math, physics, and computer science. Additionally, being curious, creative, and having a passion for space exploration can also be beneficial.

3. What are some challenges of being a space scientist at a young age?

One of the main challenges of being a space scientist at a young age is the level of education and experience required for this career. Most positions in this field require advanced degrees and years of experience, which can be difficult to obtain at a young age. There may also be financial barriers, as some internships or programs may not be paid. However, with determination and hard work, these challenges can be overcome.

4. What advice do you have for aspiring space scientists?

My advice for aspiring space scientists is to never stop learning and exploring. Keep up-to-date with the latest advancements and discoveries in the field, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, take advantage of any opportunities to gain hands-on experience, whether through internships, research projects, or volunteer work. Finally, stay determined and persistent, as it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to succeed in this field.

5. What are some potential career paths for a space scientist?

There are various career paths for a space scientist, including research positions at government agencies or universities, working for private space companies, or teaching at the university level. Some space scientists also work in engineering, data analysis, or project management roles. With a strong foundation in science and critical thinking skills, there are many diverse opportunities for a career in space science.