I have a questions about the sum of functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of proving whether the sum of surjective functions is surjective. The question arises about the codomain of the sum function and whether it is the union or sum of the individual codomains. It is then mentioned that the sum of functions is generally only defined if they have the same domain and codomain. An example is given to show that the sum of two surjective functions may not be surjective. The conversation then shifts to discussing a proof for the definition of an increasing function and how it is essentially just restating the definition in a different way.
Seda
Okay I know that (f+g)(x)= f(x) + g(x)

I need to prove (or disprove) that the sum of surjective funcitons is surjective.

However, I keep getting stuck up on one thing. If f(x) has the codomain Y and g(x) has the codomain Z, does (f+g)(x) have the codomain Y + Z (or Y U Z)? I can very easily state for this proof that for all y (and for all z) that there exists an x where f(x) = y (and that there exists an x where g(x)=z.)

I don't know how to follow this proof through to the sum function though. SOrry I'm not good at this theory/proof stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
You generally only define the sum of functions if they have the same domain and codomain. And before you start sweating too hard trying to prove that the sum is surjective think of some easy examples and try to figure out why it may not be true.

You generally only define the sum of functions if they have the same domain and codomain.

Thanks, that makes my life 10 times easier. I wasn't aware of that, but it seems obvious enough.

For functions that are R-> R

f(x)=x
g(x)=-x

though both f and g are surjective, f+g(x) = 0

We can see that the sum is not subjective, since 0 is the only member of the codomain R that the function maps to.

Does that work? It seems easy enough...

It works and it's easy. That's a great combination.

Thanks a lot dick, I have one other question I need to solve. This one seems so simple is weird:

Show that a function f : R->R is increasing iff x<y,f(x)<f(y)

To me, this is like asking to prove 2+2=4, its a definition! I'm not exactly sure what my professor wants here, if I try to prove it conventionally, it ends up like this:

First I'll prove that f is increasing implies x<y, f(x)<f(y)

This is true by definition of increasing function.

Now I'll prove x<y,f(x)<f(y) implies f is an increasing function.

This is true by definition, again!

Any ideas?

If you are going to prove that you'd better find the EXACT wording of the definition of increasing. If it is 'f is increasing if for all x<y, f(x)<f(y)' then, yes, the 'proof' doesn't have much content.

Here's the definition I've been given before verbatem:

A function f:R->R is increasing iff whenever x>y,f(x)>f(y).

Now here is what I have to "prove" in this assignment, verbatem:

Show that a function f:R->R is increasing iff whenever x<y, f(x)<f(y)

As you can see, they are 99% identical. So my earilier "proof" is acceptable? Is there any other way to do the proof? If there a way to "prove" the definition?

Last edited:
Ok, so then you just interchange the symbols x and y in the definition and then use that y>x means the same thing as x<y and f(y)>f(x) means the same thing as f(x)<f(y) and you get the problem. It's so simple it's actually hard to write out in words. But, yes, it finally boils down to just showing that the 'theorem' means the same thing as the definition. Silly, really.

1. What is the sum of functions?

The sum of functions refers to the mathematical process of adding two or more functions together to create a new function. This can also be referred to as function composition.

2. How do I calculate the sum of functions?

To calculate the sum of functions, you simply add the corresponding terms of each function together. For example, if you have two functions f(x) and g(x), their sum would be f(x) + g(x).

3. What is the purpose of finding the sum of functions?

The sum of functions is useful in many fields of mathematics, including calculus and statistics. It allows us to combine multiple functions to create a more complex function that better models real-world phenomena.

4. Are there any rules for finding the sum of functions?

Yes, there are several rules for finding the sum of functions. These include the distributive property, the commutative property, and the associative property. These rules help us simplify and manipulate the sum of functions to make calculations easier.

5. Can the sum of functions be negative?

Yes, the sum of functions can be negative. This would occur when the terms of the functions being added have opposite signs. For example, if one function has all positive terms and the other has all negative terms, their sum would be negative.