Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a Star Wars question

1. May 25, 2005 #1
    I hope this isn't too off topic, but I thought it could be answered here. :P
    In the first movie, they say that Anakin has a really high concentration of midichlorians in his blood, so he's supposed to be the most powerful ever. But in the commentaries for the original movies, George Lucas says that he's weaker because of his injuries (loss of limbs and stuff.)
    Wouldn't he be the same, though? I mean, just because he has less body mass, wouldn't the concentration be the same? I know it's a movie and all, but I was hoping there'd be a scientific explanation that made more sense.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2005 #2
    Well I guess his new body parts wouldnt have those midowhatevers, so he has the original mass but less midos.
  4. May 25, 2005 #3
    But would that make a difference? The concentration would be the same, wouldn't it?
  5. May 25, 2005 #4
    No, he lost all the midos in his limbs.
  6. May 25, 2005 #5
    No, I mean in the first movie, they said there was a high concentration in his blood. Well, he must still have a lot of his own blood, so shouldn't the concentration be the same? Maybe I'm not wording this right. :|
  7. May 25, 2005 #6

it's just a movie. enjoy it for what it is (a morality play with space cowboys and very good expensive special effects) and don't ask hard scientific questions (like how do we hear those spacecrafts zooming by, and how do they get to the outer rim so fast, and how do they communicate so much faster, and where does this cental planet that is 100% city get its resourses to feed and water the population, and where did the air-conditioning of that volcano planet come from, and where does the artificial gravity come from in the interior of all of the space ships, etc. etc.)

even though it had its own problems requiring suspended disbelief (the moon monolith and the Jupiter monolith and the star child), 2001 A Space Odyssey was much more realistic in terms of technology, although they missed it by at least 100 years (except for some things they didn't anticipate like no cell phones or laptop computers or the end of the USSR, they didn't even get that in the sequel, 2010).
  8. May 25, 2005 #7
    Yah, I know, it's just something I was wondering about and no one I asked was able to give me a good answer. I figured this was a good place to get one. ;)
  9. May 25, 2005 #8
    If what you said is true, shouldnt he have kicked Obi won's ass in Ep3?
  10. May 25, 2005 #9

Well if he lost all the blood that would've been in his missing limbs that wouldn't his midochloroplast force thing concentration go down?
  11. May 25, 2005 #10
    See, that's what I was wondering. Doesn't the concentration of something stay the same, unless you add something to it to dilute it?
  12. May 25, 2005 #11
    Deezee, lets say I have a cup of salt water, 100mL with 50% salt. I took away 50mL of saltwater, and replaced it with pure water. Is the concentration of salt in the water the same? No, you have 50mL containing 50% salt, and 50mL with 0% salt, the total is 100mL with 25% concentration.
  13. May 25, 2005 #12
    So you mean his mechanical parts are diluting it?
  14. May 25, 2005 #13

That's assuming that anakin's body is incapable of reproducing the midiochlorians, but how do we know? George Lucas never told us :wink: .

If you want the scientific answer, then the answer is this isn't science - its a movie! Try not to think too hard about these things.

(Talk about a dumb thread)
  15. May 26, 2005 #14

Ooooohhhhhhhh! :biggrin: Now I get it! The answer is that its a sci-fi movie and not everything makes since. :approve:
  16. May 26, 2005 #15
    Also, perhaps concentration isn't the driving force, but total amount. If he has a high concentration, it does imply a large amount. Loss of limbs would most certainly lower the total, though.
  17. May 26, 2005 #16
    I understand your question. Concentration has nothing to do with mass. So if we assume that those particles in his blood were uniformly distributed then the concentration should be the same. But then again this is a sci fi, movie so you can make up whatever you want to explain things. For example possible reasons could be: absolute amount is what counts, therefore even though concentration is the same the absolute amount is less. Another explanation could be that there was a higher concentration of these things in the lost limbs thereby reducing concentration. Another explanation could be that these things are made in the bone marrow, so fewer limbs means fewer bone marrow which fewer special particles in the blood. The explanation list is endless. No use trying to prove them wrong, they usually can make stuff up to defend their view.
  18. May 26, 2005 #17
    yeah concentration of the midi... in the blood would be the same, but the total amount he has would be reduced.
  19. May 26, 2005 #18

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

But, you've all forgotten that good midichlorians are most strongly concentrated in the toes of a Jedi.
    This is where they lie in ambush to strike down sithichlorian infections.

So, then we see that Anakin's loss of legs was a double tragedy:
    Not only did he lose nice midichlorians, his capacity to resist sithification was crippled as well.
  20. May 26, 2005 #19

Science Advisor

The whole midichlorian crap has got to be the worst bit of drivel that Lucas came up with. After all that went into the saga, that's what he came up with as the first Jedi EPT test? A blood test for midichlorians? Tell me that wasn't thought up at 4:59 on a Friday afternoon. Lame!
  21. May 26, 2005 #20

Midi-clorians are microscopic life-forms that reside within the cells of all living things and communicate with the Force. Midi-clorians comprise collective consciousness and intelligence, forming the link between everything living and the Force. They are symbionts with all other living things. Jedi listen to the midi-clorians. If they quiet their minds, they can hear the midi-clorians speaking to them, telling them the will of the Force. In order to be a Jedi or Sith, one must have a high concentration of midi-clorians in one's cells. Its a concentration because its the midi-clorian to body mass ratio, not how many total. But of course, if you think about it, its how many total.

I'm surprised there are no Jedi that can listen to others' midi-clorians.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?