1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have AIMS in 2 days

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    There's no way I'm going to pass it. I go to a charter school, and ive completed all my math credits. I've forgotten all the math, even simple stuff like how to graph. Some other stuff I havent learned since the highets math I took was algebra I, like mirror graphs.

I'm a senior too. :sigh:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2
    Have you been studying? You should have been able to cover a fair amount of material that you learned in your early high school years. The material should be easier because you, theoretically, should have a better understanding of basic mathematical principals than you covered when you were younger.
    What does the test cover and what are your weak spots? Post some problems in the appropriate section and we will try to help you.

4. Oct 24, 2005 #3
    Ive forgotten so much. Even basic graphing on a x y plane. What does it mean again when y=x?

I never got that far into geometry, and the geometry on the study guide he is going to give us has interceting circles and terms i dont recognize
    There is also somewhat advanced trigonmetry including sine waves and cosine waves which I'm not even close to a level to learning

He also gave us another study guide but it only covers a few basic problems, like probability and change

This isn't going to be easy

The last one I took had mirror graphs. The farthest I got into algebra was graphing and shading upper and lower parts of the graph.

Someone tried to explain to me mirror graphs before but I just dont understand
    I need a teacher or tutor for this and unfortunately there is no one in my class that can help me

5. Oct 24, 2005 #4
    I'm sure its going to have those interceting lines with the degrees too..

6. Oct 24, 2005 #5
    It also had quadratic equations..

7. Oct 24, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This means that the y-coordinate of every point on this curve has the same value as the x-coordinate. You can start by making a table. Choose a bunch of x-values and determine the corresponding y-values; in this case, they will be the same as the x-values. So x=3 means y=3; x=0 means y=0 and x= -2 means y=-2. You now have three pairs : (3,3), (0,0) and (-2,-2). Plot these points on a graph and see how they look. Add more points to the table to get a better picture.

8. Oct 24, 2005 #7
    would it still technically be a curve ?

The colloquial meaning of curve may confuse him .

9. Oct 24, 2005 #8

ahh i hate curves. if it wasnt for curves there wouldnt be calculus..i understand the concepts of calculus but i just cant do it

by the way, i was talking about a straight line, not a curved line

10. Oct 24, 2005 #9

I guess it all boils down to what one exactly means by a curve or a straight line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?