1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have an idea

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    So I have no form of engineering education, but I had a hypothesis on an analog mechanical clock being able to account for the effect of gravity on time with a form of super-sensitive weight and scale system to control speed.
    Has this been done?
    Either way, any thoughts on the matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you mean by "account for the effect of gravity on time"?

4. Feb 29, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Variations of g alter the period of pendulums in mechanical clocks .

The only situation that I have heard of where the effect was significant was in respect of clocks taken up mountains on scientific expeditions .

This may be of interest :

Harrison Chronometers

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  5. Feb 29, 2016 #4
    Well its my understanding that gravity distorts spacetime and will in turn change the "flow" of time.

6. Feb 29, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If that's the case it would alter all "clocks" so you have nothing to compare your clock with.

7. Feb 29, 2016 #6
    You could use a general predictive model to use without directly having to observe a clock somewhere moving at a different speed couldn't you?

8. Feb 29, 2016 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, we don't discuss personal theories or speculation. It's fine to ask questions about mainstream science, but trying to work on your idea here is not allowed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook