Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have been weeding

1. Apr 25, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Totally out of character for me because i hate gardening, but i have been weeding for Kia, while i was doing this i was amazed at how many spiders were about, i could not move without seeing one, is this normal or have we been invaded by alien spiders?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Be thankful you don't live on Guam. There are spiders there the size of small birds.

4. Apr 25, 2015 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I can be thankful for not living on Guam, but where do all my spiders come from?

5. Apr 25, 2015 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That quite normal for the UK and similar climates where a rich soil and moisture support lots of insects, worms, snails, arachnida and myriapoda.

6. Apr 25, 2015 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I, too, have an amazing number of spiders in my garden. They're black or very dark grey, and about 1 to 2 cm. They're lightning fast! They're not aggressive at all, and mostly do what they can to stay out of my way. It's not unusual to see 5 or more in a square foot, especially in warm weather.

One good thing about spiders: if you see a lot of them, it's a good sign there aren't many pesticides around. They're at the top of the insect food chain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomagnification

I don't like spiders generally, but this kind I don't get too worked up about.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook