I have been weeding

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date

wolram

Gold Member
Totally out of character for me because i hate gardening, but i have been weeding for Kia, while i was doing this i was amazed at how many spiders were about, i could not move without seeing one, is this normal or have we been invaded by alien spiders?

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Be thankful you don't live on Guam. There are spiders there the size of small birds.

wolram

Gold Member
I can be thankful for not living on Guam, but where do all my spiders come from?

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Totally out of character for me because i hate gardening, but i have been weeding for Kia, while i was doing this i was amazed at how many spiders were about, i could not move without seeing one, is this normal or have we been invaded by alien spiders?
That quite normal for the UK and similar climates where a rich soil and moisture support lots of insects, worms, snails, arachnida and myriapoda.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I, too, have an amazing number of spiders in my garden. They're black or very dark grey, and about 1 to 2 cm. They're lightning fast! They're not aggressive at all, and mostly do what they can to stay out of my way. It's not unusual to see 5 or more in a square foot, especially in warm weather.

One good thing about spiders: if you see a lot of them, it's a good sign there aren't many pesticides around. They're at the top of the insect food chain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomagnification

I don't like spiders generally, but this kind I don't get too worked up about.