Weeding for Kia - Is it Normal or Alien Invasion?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker was weeding for someone named Kia and noticed a large number of spiders in the garden. They wondered if this was normal or if there was an invasion of alien spiders. Another person mentioned that it is common to have a lot of spiders in the UK and similar climates due to a rich soil and moisture. They also mentioned that spiders are important for controlling pests and that their presence is a good indicator of a low pesticide environment. The speaker also described their experience with the spiders, noting their speed and lack of aggression.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Totally out of character for me because i hate gardening, but i have been weeding for Kia, while i was doing this i was amazed at how many spiders were about, i could not move without seeing one, is this normal or have we been invaded by alien spiders?

Physics news on Phys.org
Be thankful you don't live on Guam. There are spiders there the size of small birds.

I can be thankful for not living on Guam, but where do all my spiders come from?

wolram said:
Totally out of character for me because i hate gardening, but i have been weeding for Kia, while i was doing this i was amazed at how many spiders were about, i could not move without seeing one, is this normal or have we been invaded by alien spiders?
That quite normal for the UK and similar climates where a rich soil and moisture support lots of insects, worms, snails, arachnida and myriapoda.

Likes PeroK
I, too, have an amazing number of spiders in my garden. They're black or very dark grey, and about 1 to 2 cm. They're lightning fast! They're not aggressive at all, and mostly do what they can to stay out of my way. It's not unusual to see 5 or more in a square foot, especially in warm weather.

One good thing about spiders: if you see a lot of them, it's a good sign there aren't many pesticides around. They're at the top of the insect food chain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomagnification

I don't like spiders generally, but this kind I don't get too worked up about.

1. What is "Weeding for Kia" and why is it important?

"Weeding for Kia" is a term used to describe the process of removing weeds from a specific area, usually a garden or lawn, in order to maintain the health and appearance of the plants growing there. It is important because weeds can compete with desirable plants for nutrients and water, leading to stunted growth and reduced yield. Weeding also helps prevent the spread of invasive species, which can harm native plants and disrupt ecosystems.

2. Is it normal to have a lot of weeds in my garden?

It is normal to have some weeds in a garden, as they are a natural part of the ecosystem. However, an excessive amount of weeds can be a sign of poor soil health or inadequate gardening practices. Regular weeding and proper mulching can help prevent an overabundance of weeds.

3. How can I tell if the weeds in my garden are a sign of an alien invasion?

While it is highly unlikely that the weeds in your garden are a sign of an alien invasion, there are a few things you can look for. Alien plants, also known as invasive species, typically have rapid growth rates, spread quickly, and can outcompete native plants for resources. If you notice any of these traits in your weeds, it is best to research and properly identify them to determine if they are invasive.

4. What are some effective methods for controlling weeds?

There are several methods for controlling weeds, including hand-pulling, using herbicides, and using organic mulches. Hand-pulling is best for small areas or individual weeds, while herbicides can be effective for larger areas with a lot of weeds. Organic mulches, such as wood chips or straw, can help suppress weed growth by blocking sunlight and preventing weed seeds from germinating.

5. Can weeding for Kia be harmful to the environment?

Weeding for Kia can be harmful to the environment if not done properly. Using chemical herbicides can harm beneficial insects and pollinators, as well as contaminate water sources. It is important to use herbicides sparingly and follow all instructions carefully. Additionally, removing all weeds, including native ones, can disrupt the natural balance of the ecosystem. It is best to only remove weeds that are invasive or detrimental to the health of your garden.