I have no idea how to do this

In summary, to scale the vine to Tarzan's treetop hut, Jane should allow 2.21 seconds. During this time, she will have a force of 7mg and reach a speed of 54.22m/s.
Tensaiga
Hello, i have another question, sorry i didn't post them together. But I'm stuck again ... and this time i have no idea how to solve...

Question:
Jane wishes to quicky scale a slender vine to vist Tarzan in his treetop hut. The wine is known to safely support the combined wieght of Tarzan, Jane, and Cheeta. Tarzan has twice the mass of Jane, who has twice the mass of Cheesta, if the wine if 60m long, what minimum time should Jane allow for the climb?

Ok, well i only has this one idea that was name the mass of Cheeta x, the Tarzan is 4x, and Jane is 2x...and that's all i could think of... i feel dumb...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tensaiga said:
Hello, i have another question, sorry i didn't post them together. But I'm stuck again ... and this time i have no idea how to solve...

Question:
Jane wishes to quicky scale a slender vine to vist Tarzan in his treetop hut. The wine is known to safely support the combined wieght of Tarzan, Jane, and Cheeta. Tarzan has twice the mass of Jane, who has twice the mass of Cheesta, if the wine if 60m long, what minimum time should Jane allow for the climb?

Ok, well i only has this one idea that was name the mass of Cheeta x, the Tarzan is 4x, and Jane is 2x...and that's all i could think of... i feel dumb...

Thanks
What is it that would cause the force on the vine to be greater than Jane's weight?

What average speed would Jane have if she completed the climb in t seconds? What is the minimum force required to do that?

AM

the net force? accleration times mass?? but wouldn't it stop at the top? or starting from rest? i need one variable to be 0m/s...

Tensaiga said:
the net force? accleration times mass??
Right. The trick is to minimize the force for a given time. Then find a time for which the force is just under the maximum strength of the vine.
but wouldn't it stop at the top? or starting from rest? i need one variable to be 0m/s...
She starts at 0. She will end at a speed greater than 0 at the top. At that point she is not on the vine so presumably the tree branch (and gravity) will slow her down after she reaches the top.

Plot speed vs. time on a graph. You want the path that has a slope that is always less than the maximum allowable acceleration.

For a given time, t, what is the path that will result in the minimum slope? Keep in mind that the area under the graph (distance) has to be the same for all paths. When you have that figured out, it is a simple matter to find the minimum time.

AM

Finally found this post, thanks i did it like this

(x+2x+4x) = (2x)(9.8) + (2x)(a)
49x/2x = a
a = 24.5

then vf^2-Vi^2 = 2ad
vf = 54.22m/s

vf=vi + a*t
t = 2.21s

don't know if this is right. BUT THANK YOU

Tensaiga said:
Finally found this post, thanks i did it like this

49x/2x = a
a = 24.5

then vf^2-Vi^2 = 2ad
vf = 54.22m/s

vf=vi + a*t
t = 2.21s

don't know if this is right. BUT THANK YOU
This is the correct answer. Just to clarify the reasoning:

The maximum force is 7/2 of the weight of Jane, or 3.5 mg where m is Jane's mass.

For a given time, the peak force is minimized with constant acceleration. In terms of time and constant acceleration, the distance covered is:

[tex]d = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

So:

[tex]F = ma + mg = m2d/t^2 + mg = 3.5mg[/tex]

[tex]t^2 = 2d/2.5g \text{ So: } t = 2.21[/tex] seconds

AM

Tensaiga said:
49x/2x = a
a = 24.5

Well, this is interesting. This question came up on my physics test, but I didn't know how to answer it. So I started browsing, and it was my friend that had actually found this exact link. (We were working together)

What I'm wondering is; How did you get 49x? We've been trying and trying, but we can't work it out so that a = 24.5

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Vyce said:
Well, this is interesting. This question came up on my physics test, but I didn't know how to answer it. So I started browsing, and it was my friend that had actually found this exact link. (We were working together)

What I'm wondering is; How did you get 49x? We've been trying and trying, but we can't work it out so that a = 24.5

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

[tex]F = ma + mg = 7mg/2[/tex]

letting m=2x:

[tex]F = 2xa + 2xg = 7xg[/tex] so:

[tex]a/g + 1 = 7/2[/tex]

[tex]a/g = 5/2[/tex]

[tex]a = 9.8*5/2 = 49/2 = 24.5 m/sec^2[/tex]

AM

1. How can I learn how to do this?

The best way to learn how to do something is to break it down into smaller, manageable steps. Start by researching the topic and gathering information. You can also seek guidance from someone who is knowledgeable in the subject or take a course on the topic.

2. What resources can I use to figure this out?

There are many resources available to help you learn how to do something. You can use books, online tutorials, instructional videos, and even attend workshops or classes. It's important to find resources that cater to your specific learning style.

3. How do I know if I'm doing it right?

One way to ensure that you are on the right track is to seek feedback from others. You can also compare your progress to established guidelines or standards. It's important to remember that there may be more than one correct way to do something, so don't be discouraged if your approach differs from others.

4. What should I do if I get stuck?

If you find yourself stuck or unsure of how to proceed, don't hesitate to ask for help. You can reach out to colleagues, mentors, or even online communities for assistance. Additionally, taking a break and approaching the problem with a fresh perspective can often lead to new ideas and solutions.

5. How long will it take me to figure this out?

The length of time it takes to learn something new varies for each individual and depends on the complexity of the subject. It's important to be patient and not get discouraged if it takes longer than expected. Keep in mind that with consistent effort and dedication, you will eventually get the hang of it.