1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have no idea how to solve this ques

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    Make an order-of-magnitude estimate of the cost of one person’s routine use of a hair dryer for 1 yr. If you do not use a blow dryer yourself, observe or interview someone who does. State the quantities you estimate and their values.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2
    Find out the power of a dryer (Google) and the cost of a kWh in your area (Google).Estimate the time somebody uses the dryer in a year in hours.Compute the number of kWh then the price.

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

By the way, this topic is not a topic for advanced physics. This is something for introductory physics.

The question should be very intuitive. The best part about order-of-magnitude questions is that you can, for example, say a new flat screen tv costs $2000 or $5000 and as an order of magnitude calculation goes, they're the exact same answer.

5. Jun 19, 2011 #4
    Thx for helping !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook