Find the stopping distance of that same car

In summary, the car has a mass of 680.0 kg and is initially traveling at 27.0 m/s (60.5 mi/hr) on a level road. It can stop in 61.0 m (200.1 ft) with its wheels locked, applying a horizontal force of 4.06E+03 N. When traveling up a 17.1° slope at 34.9 m/s (78.2 mi/hr), the car will stop at an unknown distance with the same mass and assuming mu_k does not depend on the speed. The solution can potentially be found using the conservation of energy theorem.
songokou77
A 680.0 kg car traveling on a level road at 27.0 m/s (60.5 mi/hr) can stop, locking its wheels, in a distance of 61.0 m (200.1 ft). Find the size of the horizontal force which the car applies on the road while stopping.

Correct, computer gets: 4.06E+03 N
now:
Find the stopping distance of that same car when it is traveling up a 17.1° slope, and it locks its wheels while traveling at 34.9 m/s (78.2 mi/hr). Assume that mu_k does not depend on the speed. >?

I have no idea how to solve part two i know i can use mass from part 1 but how can i get distance i have too many unknowns

Physics news on Phys.org
have you tried to solve it with the conservation of energy teorem?

To find the stopping distance of the car on a slope, we can use the same formula as before: d = v^2/2μg, where d is the stopping distance, v is the initial velocity, μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

However, in this case, we need to take into account the slope of the road. This means that the force of gravity acting on the car will be split into two components: one parallel to the slope and one perpendicular to the slope. The force parallel to the slope will contribute to the car's acceleration, while the force perpendicular to the slope will not.

To find the stopping distance on the slope, we need to consider the parallel component of the force of gravity, which is given by F = mg sinθ, where m is the mass of the car, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the slope angle (17.1° in this case). This force will be acting in the opposite direction of the car's motion, so we can use it in our formula as a negative value.

Now, we have all the information we need to solve for the stopping distance on the slope:

d = (34.9 m/s)^2 / 2 * μ * 9.8 m/s^2 * sin17.1°

Plugging in the given values, we get a stopping distance of approximately 207.6 meters.

To find the horizontal force applied by the car on the road while stopping, we can use Newton's second law: F = ma. In this case, the acceleration is given by a = -μg sinθ, since the car is decelerating in the opposite direction of its motion. Plugging in the values of μ, g, and θ, we get:

F = 680.0 kg * (-0.5) * 9.8 m/s^2 * sin17.1°

Solving this, we get a horizontal force of approximately 4,060 Newtons, which is the same as the force calculated in part one. This makes sense, as the mass and velocity of the car remain the same, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is also assumed to be constant.

1. What is stopping distance?

Stopping distance is the distance that a vehicle travels from the moment the brakes are applied until it comes to a complete stop.

2. How is stopping distance calculated?

Stopping distance is calculated by adding the reaction distance (the distance traveled while the driver reacts to a hazard) and the braking distance (the distance traveled while the vehicle is braking).

3. What factors affect stopping distance?

Stopping distance is affected by several factors such as speed, road conditions, vehicle weight, and brake efficiency.

4. How can I find the stopping distance of a specific car?

To find the stopping distance of a specific car, you will need to know its speed, its weight, the efficiency of its brakes, and the road conditions it is traveling on. You can then use a stopping distance calculator or follow the formula: stopping distance = reaction distance + braking distance.

5. Can stopping distance be reduced?

Yes, stopping distance can be reduced by maintaining a safe speed, regularly maintaining and checking the brakes, and keeping a safe distance from other vehicles on the road.