Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have no onscreen display. I think my new Power Supply might of fried my Motherboard

1. Jul 27, 2006 #1
    I just bought a new 750W powersupply off of newegg and put it in my computer and tried to fire it up. The fans on the back of my computer spun for a fraction of a second then everything turned off. My monitor kept going from green light to orange light for some reason (even when I turned off the power supply switch in the back and unplugged the power cord). I then took out the powersupply and put my old 480W one back in. Everything worked fine except there was no display on the monitor. When I turned my computer on it would go from orange to green for like 5 seconds then back to orange.

At first I thought that it might of been my Video Card. It is an AIW x800 xt. I went to the store and bought a 7800 and put it into my computer and tried turning my computer on. The same thing happened.

The only thing I can think of that is left is my motherboard. I really hope that it isn't fried because there is so much stuff to get out of the way to take it out+I need to buy another+I would have to reinstall Windows XP.

What do you guys think?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2006 #2
    that hapened to my computer, it is the power supply, your motherbored is fine

dont know what the screens got rong with it
  4. Aug 1, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

Sometimes motherboard and power supply problems can give similar symptoms. Since he has tried two power supplies, it must be the motherboard.
  5. Aug 1, 2006 #4
    Well, after taking it into a computer hardware store to get it diagnosed, it turns out the mobo is fried. Now I have to find a new P4P800 even though they stopped making them a long time ago. :(

Oh well, thanks for the replys though. ;)
  6. Aug 3, 2006 #5
    Dear Jonathan,

Nice to receive your email, I am sorry to hear what happen to your PC system, we will do our best to evaluate the situtation, if XClio PSU you bought is the reason casue your MB & videocard fried, we sure will take the responsibility, now I need you to do your best to answer below question as start, then we will take care from here.

01. Newegg RMA# & your order#? I need to find the RMA PSU to determine what exactly going on.

02. Did you RMA back the PSU with all the cables?

03. there are 4PCS 6Pins PCI-E cable for the PSU you bought, 2PCS built in with the PSU, 2PCS in detachable cables, which PCI-E cable did you use to run your video card?

04. Have you still have the fried MB & video card in hand? we might need them if we confirm we do have problems with our PSU.

Again, sorry to hear what's going on, plz advise if you can remember anything relate to your PC system, it will help us alot.

Best Regaards,

Meridian Technology Corp.

A company willing to take responsability for their defective products? No ways. :O
  7. Aug 3, 2006 #6
    I can a screen problem, similar to yours. It would seem to go on like a permenant "standby" where if I turned off the screen and back on it wouldn't turn back on, I'd have to reset.

I fixed this through turning AGP read and write off in my graphics card options. I know that our problems my only be vaguely related but you never know, this may just be the problem.
  8. Aug 4, 2006 #7
    My computer worked fine 5 minutes before I put the new power supply in actually. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?