How do phonons contribute to the formation of Cooper pairs in superconductors?

• Thread starter Forestman
  • Start date
In summary, superconductors have cooper pairs, which are two electrons paired together through the transfer of phonons. Phonons are quantized vibrations in the crystal lattice. The ions in the lattice move slower than the electrons, creating an effective interaction between electrons. This interaction is set up by the displacement of ions due to the charge of an electron passing by, creating a charged void that can attract another electron. These cooper pairs have opposite momenta and are not physically bound together like molecules.
Forestman
I know that in a superconductor you have what is known as cooper pairs, which are two electrons paired together by the transfer of phonons. And I know that the phonons are quantized vibrations in the crystal lattice. But I still don't quite understand how the phonons hold the cooper pairs together. I am sure that I could understand it if I did some more reading off of the Internet, but I bet that you guys could explain it a lot better. Anyway, if anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. I am not studying to be a physicist, I am just a layman. But I have a very strong interest in science and math, and I wish to understand everything about these two subjects that I possibly can.

Physics news on Phys.org
The essential point is that the ions move slower than the electrons. Due to the exclusion principle, we only need to concern ourselves with electrons at the Fermi surface, which all have very high momentum and velocity. Ions, when displaced, will move back, but much slower. Now imagine an electron comes by, and its charge pushes an ion out of place. The electron then immediately goes away, but the ion hasn't moved back yet. There is effectively a charged void, which can attract another electron. This way, you set up an effective interaction between electrons. Specifically, you set up an attractive region which is at the same space but displaced in time.

Thanks genneth.

It may be helpful to know that the electrons in a pair are not physically bound together (don't think of the two oxygen atoms in an O2 molecule, for instance). The electrons in a Cooper pair actually have opposite momenta.

What does it mean when someone says "I have part of it figured out"?

When someone says they have part of something figured out, it means that they have made progress towards understanding or solving a problem, but they do not have a complete understanding or solution yet.

What is the difference between having part of something figured out and having it completely figured out?

Having part of something figured out means that you have made progress and have some understanding or solution, but it may not be complete or fully accurate. Having something completely figured out means that you have a thorough understanding or a complete solution to a problem.

In what situations might someone say "I have part of it figured out"?

Someone might say "I have part of it figured out" in a variety of situations, such as when working on a complex problem, when learning a new skill or concept, or when trying to understand a difficult situation or relationship.

Why might someone only have part of something figured out?

There are many reasons why someone may only have part of something figured out. It could be due to a lack of information or resources, a limited understanding of the problem or concept, or simply a lack of time or effort devoted to fully figuring it out.

How can someone go from having part of something figured out to having it completely figured out?

To go from having part of something figured out to having it completely figured out, one might need to gather more information, deepen their understanding, or continue to work on the problem or concept. Seeking help from others, taking a break and returning to the problem with a fresh perspective, or trying different approaches can also help in fully figuring something out.