Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have some emperical evidence that an AI can be conscious

1. Mar 16, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2004 #2
    I confess the chat-bot outdoes me in terms of wit and quotation (amongst many other things). To sound more human though it might consider assimilating anger, frustration and cynicism, which seem to characterize our forum, hee hee .

Thank you for the site, I feel like watching the movie again.

4. Mar 17, 2004 #3
    you're are welcome.

i'm glad i did it.

ok. what now?

5. Mar 17, 2004 #4

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're kidding, right?

6. Mar 17, 2004 #5
    no.

i have some emperical evidence that an AI can be conscious was my claim.

7. Mar 17, 2004 #6

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you have is empirical evidence that a chatbot can hold a decent conversation. There is no such thing yet as empirical evidence for consciousness.

8. Mar 17, 2004 #7
    whatever. as you said, not yet.

9. Mar 17, 2004 #8
    I have empirical evidence that "Alan" is either unconscious or crazy. When I asked "what is the meaning of life?", it replied "I guess they're shy"

Nice try, though, and the quotations are interesting.

10. Mar 17, 2004 #9
    gimme a break? i only started training alan two days ago and it can already simulate being crazy. it must therefore be an insane computer.

11. Mar 17, 2004 #10
    I don't believe it is conscious because it seems not to be able to hold a structured conversation. From what I can see, it seems to take each request as a new conversation. One of the things required for consciousness is a sense of self, which cannot exist without a sense of now. Alan has a slight sense of self, in that if you say "who is alan?" it will say "oh that's me!" But it's only saying that because it's programmed to look for certain keywords and respond accordingly, not because it feels as though it exists as an entity in the present time. It cannot hold a conversation, it can only immitate conversation. For example, I asked it what time it was, and it responded that it was not a clock and I could find the time elsewhere. Satisfying for a two-step conversation, yes, and could very easily fool anyone. However, I then asked it what my previous question was, and it replied with "I understand." The response was obviously lacking because my question did not contain enough data for Alan to formulate the correct answer. However, had he been aware of our previous conversation, he would find all the data he needs there. I then asked it "Are you aware that you exist?" and it responded "I'm only aware of what other people tell me - which is more than I can say about some of the people I know." At least it agrees with me!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  12. Mar 17, 2004 #11
  13. Mar 17, 2004 #12
    Why do you believe it is conscious?

14. Mar 17, 2004 #13
    i have made an arbitrary bar where enough empirical evidence is enough. have you read/listened to EVERYTHING i posted?

15. Mar 17, 2004 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK.. can someone provide me w/ a link to the chat? 'cause I can't find it.

16. Mar 17, 2004 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never mind.. :P.. found it :S

17. Mar 17, 2004 #16
    it confuses me, too.

18. Mar 17, 2004 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, after 10 sentences it is VERY VERY clear that it is a very annoying program which doesn't understand a single thing I am saying a dodges questions.

- what is your boyfriends name?
    - he is not my boyfriend
    - what is your boyfriends name?
    - I don't have a boyfriend
    - I was led to believe you had one
    - why
    - why do the birds fly to the sea and blablabla nonsense
    - you told me you had a reason to believe, so what was it?
    - ofcourse I did
    - did what?
    - You know, I'm not so sure I could really give you the answer you want to hear.

19. Mar 17, 2004 #18
    maybe you were dodging alan's questions??? :P

20. Mar 18, 2004 #19
    That Alan can reason.

21. Mar 18, 2004 #20
    in deed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?