Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have to define stoichiometry

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    I have to define stoichiometry. Any one know a good definition for it? I'm reading a sentence it was used in "Many combinations of mono and trivalent cations yield crystals of the same stoichiometry and structure"

As well does anyone know a good definition of synthesis. Is it simply the combination of reactants to form a product?

thanks for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2
    Stoichiometry in the Merriam-Webster dictionary is definied as:

1 : a branch of chemistry that deals with the application of the laws of definite proportions and of the conservation of mass and energy to chemical activity
    2 a : the quantitative relationship between constituents in a chemical substance b : the quantitative relationship between two or more substances especially in processes involving physical or chemical change​

By synthesis I assume you mean a synthesis reaction. Correct me if I'm wrong on what you mean. But in chemistry, a general synthesis reaction is a reaction that follows the format of:

[tex]A +B \longrightarrow AB[/tex],

where A and B are reactants and AB is the product. A and B can be compounds or elements and AB is a compound.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  4. Nov 23, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Z-component has explained the issue pretty well, but I'll give some more details.

Let me give a real example to see what stoichiometry really is.

[tex]3Cu+8HNO_3 \longrightarrow 3Cu(NO_3)_2 + 2NO + 4H_2O[/tex]

Stoichiometry is the method to find how many molecules will be in a reaction to give a full-balanced equation. This is my definition, and it fits here, I think.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?