1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have to define stoichiometry

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    I have to define stoichiometry. Any one know a good definition for it? I'm reading a sentence it was used in "Many combinations of mono and trivalent cations yield crystals of the same stoichiometry and structure"

As well does anyone know a good definition of synthesis. Is it simply the combination of reactants to form a product?

thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2
    Stoichiometry in the Merriam-Webster dictionary is definied as:

1 : a branch of chemistry that deals with the application of the laws of definite proportions and of the conservation of mass and energy to chemical activity
    2 a : the quantitative relationship between constituents in a chemical substance b : the quantitative relationship between two or more substances especially in processes involving physical or chemical change​

By synthesis I assume you mean a synthesis reaction. Correct me if I'm wrong on what you mean. But in chemistry, a general synthesis reaction is a reaction that follows the format of:

[tex]A +B \longrightarrow AB[/tex],

where A and B are reactants and AB is the product. A and B can be compounds or elements and AB is a compound.

Let me know if you need anything else.

z-component

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  4. Nov 23, 2004 #3

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Z-component has explained the issue pretty well, but I'll give some more details.

Let me give a real example to see what stoichiometry really is.

[tex]3Cu+8HNO_3 \longrightarrow 3Cu(NO_3)_2 + 2NO + 4H_2O[/tex]

Stoichiometry is the method to find how many molecules will be in a reaction to give a full-balanced equation. This is my definition, and it fits here, I think.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?