Maryland vs. California: A Tale of Two Cities

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    california
In summary: But I've never felt uncomfortable or unwelcome anywhere I've been in the bay area.In summary, I think the people in the east bay are nicer than the people in DC.
Cyrus
I recently went to Beverly Hills California for 10 days, and it was a nice place. I think Maryland has a nicer city, but CA has nicer people. Today I went to the super market to buy chicken to make some chicken stock, and I must say, what a bunch of angry, miserable, SOB's live in Maryland. I really can't stand these people anymore. They are all jerks. Obviously not all of them, but a good majority of these people act like a POS. MIH, send over some of those nice California girls that smile at you when you walk by...:grumpy:

In conclusion, don't visit Maryland or DC for the people. The people in NY are rude, but they have character to them. The people here are just rude or snobs.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
I think Maryland is a nicer city...
Just thought we should save this for posterity!

The people are nicer in Georgetown and Adams Morgan. This is true!

Last edited:
I did not mean the entire state, just the part I live in which is the DC area.

No there not...those are some of the worst snobs.

cyrusabdollahi said:
In conclusion, don't visit Maryland or DC for the people. The people in NY are rude, but they have character to them. The people here are just rude or snobs.

And more and more of them keep moving here. They're obnoxious and then get mad when someone doesn't yield the right of way to their SUV (but I still have enough Jersey in me to just give them the finger and keep going...I don't care how big they are; if I have the right of way, they can just keep honking while they wait their turn...if they weren't being pushy, and honking the horn, I might have let them go).

Cyrus, didn't you know? Californians are the friendliest people in the US. I think this results from all of the new-age chanting, and the large reserves of positive crystal energy.

Have a nice day.

This all kind of reminds me of an old 60's song.

"All the gold in California is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills in sombody else's name."

We had an estimated 35,000 Californians arrive in AZ last year. They can sell their CA 1600 sq. ft. 3 bedroom one bath house for $600,000 and move here and buy a 3,500 sq. ft. 5 bedroom 4 bath house and have about $100,000 left over.

What this has to do with this thread is beyone me.:wink:

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I recently went to Beverly Hills California for 10 days, and it was a nice place. I think Maryland has a nicer city, but CA has nicer people. Today I went to the super market to buy chicken to make some chicken stock, and I must say, what a bunch of angry, miserable, SOB's live in Maryland. I really can't stand these people anymore. They are all jerks. Obviously not all of them, but a good majority of these people act like a POS. MIH, send over some of those nice California girls that smile at you when you walk by...:grumpy:

Beverly Hills California? I visited for a while too. Tinsel town. The only good thing about the place was that Al Pachino came to look at the house where I was invited to stay and I saw his two twin daughters who were four and he must have been at least seventy.

California is wonderful in so many ways -- though admittedly Beverly Hills is on the bottom of my personal list.

I work in silicon valley, and live in the east bay, just over the bridge from SF. I grew up on the east coast, and spent many summers working in the DC area. I hated it! Certainly, DC drivers are some of the biggest jerks on the planet, but it seems dumb to judge an entire demographic by its typical driver. Beyond being incredibly mean behind the wheel, I never got much of a "friendly vibe" from the people in DC, even just walking down the street or hanging out in a bookstore.

On the other hand, many people will tell you that silicon valley is an extremely fast-pased environment where everyone's worked to death, but that just hasn't been my experience here. In fact, people seem pretty laid back, all things considered. Certainly, people are nice drivers here. If you signal, I'd say nine of ten drivers will actively allow you to change lanes in from of them. Beyond driving, people in the bay area are some of the most tolerant, socially liberal, kind people you'll ever meet.

I don't know the reason -- maybe it's the nice weather, the many excellent things to do outdoors, the generally wealthy and educated populous and world-class schools, the good job market, the general memes of tolerance and acceptance of others, the diverse ethnicities, or what -- but California is by far my favorite place that I've ever lived. It's expensive as hell to live here, but, like all things, you get what you pay for.

- Warren

SF I liked too. The ocean is so close by and the air is always invigorating. Excellent weather.

Aside from the bad drivers who move into town each new school year, I enjoy living and working with really friendly people here (genuinely friendly, not just plastering a smile on their face and saying hi without really wanting to get to know you, as I've experienced other places). We have pretty views and places to enjoy the outdoors, but none of that California price tag on stuff. :biggrin:

I don't know the reason -- maybe it's the nice weather, the many excellent things to do outdoors, the generally wealthy and educated populous and world-class schools, the good job market, the general memes of tolerance and acceptance of others, the diverse ethnicities, or what -- but California is by far my favorite place that I've ever lived. It's expensive as hell to live here, but, like all things, you get what you pay for.

- Warren

Yeah, but Montgomery County is the thrid richest county in the nation and they are still jerks. It has all that you mentioned.

Hah, one lady was going down the isles with her shopping cart on a damn rampage. I think she would have run me over and cursed at me for being in her way.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I Heart MD.
I...Electron PhD? :confused:

Bah, these snobbishly cryptic cardiologists! :rolleyes:

Gokul43201 said:

...what?

Gokul43201 said:

:rofl: I thought it was something about cardiology or medicine when I first saw the thread title too.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I thought it was something about cardiology or medicine when I first saw the thread title too.

Oh...I get it now.

Seriously, I have spent a fair amount of time in many of the 50 States, and I was most struck by the people in Rhode Island and Conneticut. I don't know if it was a fluke or indicative of the culture, but as a whole, they really were the friendliest people I have ever met. In contrast, my aunt lived in Taxachussets, and after ~forty years she was still treated like an outsider. She claimed that you are only a native if your gggg grandparents came over on the Mayflower.

I am bundling up your care package, Cy. The girls complained and scratched me when I tried to stuff them in the box. Would you settle for some tangerines?

Math Is Hard said:
I am bundling up your care package, Cy. The girls complained and scratched me when I tried to stuff them in the box. Would you settle for some tangerines?

Thats another thing. The food in CA is so cheap!

cyrusabdollahi said:
Thats another thing. The food in CA is so cheap!
That's because CA steals irrigation water and gives it to large farms and pays the migrant farm workers like they were worthless. A large greenhouse just started operations a few miles from here and my brother's GF got a job there. Guess what? Since they are an agricultural enterprise, they can force the workers to work any schedule they want and do not have to pay overtime. On the up-side there are a lot of Mexicans moving into the area, and MAYBE some enterprising Mexicans will start up a real restaurant in the area, instead of that crappy chilies/taco bell stuff.

Ivan Seeking said:
Seriously, I have spent a fair amount of time in many of the 50 States, and I was most struck by the people in Rhode Island and Conneticut. I don't know if it was a fluke or indicative of the culture, but as a whole, they really were the friendliest people I have ever met. In contrast, my aunt lived in Taxachussets, and after ~forty years she was still treated like an outsider. She claimed that you are only a native if your gggg grandparents came over on the Mayflower.
Mainers are much friendlier, but more reserved. A couple of our friends moved to Maine to get away from the Quincey/Brockton area and try to keep their kids out of the drug scene. The reason they came here in the first place was that they were riding their Harley FL here and it started raining hard. They pulled under a tree to ride it out, and an older couple across the road hollered to them to come up on their open porch to stay dry and talked to them and treated them nicely until the storm passed. Bob's comment was "that would never have happened in Mass". Now he's a top-listing real estate agent for a local realty company. He is a hell of a nice guy, and very thoughtful and respectful. I have known him for years and never saw that side of him until he got up here - the culture that you live in can be a huge influence on your character.

EDIT: This is one of the bikers from the South Boston area that I have been hanging with for the last 20 years or so when they come to Maine. They are a rough-looking H-D crowd, but for the most part they are decent folks. One clean-cut guy is a retired MA state trooper who (usually) behaves himself. They are a different breed of cat, though, and Bob and his wife have acclimated very well to Maine.

Last edited:

1. What are the main differences between Maryland and California?

Maryland and California have many differences, including their geography, climate, and culture. Maryland is located on the east coast of the United States and has a more temperate climate with four distinct seasons. California, on the other hand, is located on the west coast and has a more Mediterranean climate with mild winters and hot summers. Culturally, Maryland has a rich history and is known for its seafood and blue crabs, while California is known for its diverse population and being a hub for technology and entertainment.

2. Which state has a higher population, Maryland or California?

California has a significantly higher population than Maryland. As of 2021, California has an estimated population of over 39 million, while Maryland has an estimated population of just over 6 million.

3. How do the economies of Maryland and California compare?

The economies of Maryland and California are quite different. California has a larger and more diverse economy, with major industries including technology, entertainment, and agriculture. Maryland's economy is more focused on services, such as healthcare, education, and government. However, both states have relatively high median household incomes and low unemployment rates.

4. Which state has a higher cost of living, Maryland or California?

California is known for having a higher cost of living than Maryland. This is due to factors such as higher housing prices, taxes, and overall expenses. However, the specific cost of living can vary depending on the specific city or area within each state.

5. How do Maryland and California compare in terms of education and healthcare?

Both Maryland and California have highly ranked education and healthcare systems. However, California has a larger number of top-ranked universities and medical centers. Maryland also has top-ranked universities and medical centers, but on a smaller scale. Both states have high levels of education and access to quality healthcare for their residents.