I *heart* Octopi

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member

About 120 feet down, and it all happened really quickly. I was fanning sand/silt away with my hands and he just sort of lunged at me. I really did not even see him, until it was too late. The person taking the photo came to my aid, after he realized I was about to panic. Even with 2 of us, it was hard to keep him off.
At that depth, (considering dive-time at pressure), it would have been a really bad time to panic and surface. Glad you're still here with us. I have a friend who wreck-dives off the coast of Maine, where currents can be strong, the waters are notoriously murky and disorientation is a real danger. Stu is a trooper, and he brings my Dad Atlantic fresh scallops from time to time, but he is a risk-taker, like his own father, who owned the only Aston-Martin in the state at the time and scared the crap out of everybody who didn't wish him ill.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Wow, hypatia...that's really amazing! Congrats at keeping your wits about you.

And holy cow, that's a lot of light for 120' - here in the Seattle area, you'd be in nearly complete darkness at 120' on an average day. Did you have a spotlight with you? The water is crystal clear! Where was that, to have such fantastic visibility?

And who the heck says 'octopodes,' seriously?!? I'm sticking with octopi...an all-around much better word :tongue2:.

OmCheeto
Gold Member

That burst of bubbles is a underwater SCREAM. Yes, the mean octi was wrapped up in my hands and refused to let go.
Maybe you taste like lumpfish.

Octopii have taste buds in their suction cups.

I've never eaten lumpfish.

They look a bit like peeps.

GD7981353@TOKYO---JULY-09--Ball-1781.jpg

You weren't eating marshmallows before you took your dive were you?

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Those look like Greg's avatar!

You'd think more people would keep them for pets, though I don't think they live all that long. Does anybody know?
not sure how long they live, but people do keep them for pets, including the deadly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ringed_octopus" [Broken] it's actually not a bad choice since it's tropical and doesn't get big. but god help you if you get bit. personally, i wouldn't mind trying it some day, but not without spending a bunch of forethought on keeping him boxed in.

as for plurals, i prefer octopi. octopuses is a horrid word. i could maybe be OK with octopods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow, hypatia. Great photo and all, but man-oh-man. Scary! You did well making it back to tell the tale. Phew.

Wow, hypatia...that's really amazing! Congrats at keeping your wits about you.

And holy cow, that's a lot of light for 120' - here in the Seattle area, you'd be in nearly complete darkness at 120' on an average day. Did you have a spotlight with you? The water is crystal clear! Where was that, to have such fantastic visibility?

And who the heck says 'octopodes,' seriously?!? I'm sticking with octopi...an all-around much better word :tongue2:.
Yes their were several platform lights mounted at different stages of depth/decompression. With a very slow current, the photo ops were good. Cabo San Lucas, between Lover's Beach and Pelican Rock, I don't recall the name of the dive company.

S_Happens
Gold Member

Octopus.jpg

That burst of bubbles is a underwater SCREAM. Yes, the mean octi was wrapped up in my hands and refused to let go.

I have those exact same fins :approve:. I can only imagine how hard it is to keep your wits in that situaiton at that depth.

An octopus' (hah, singular possessive) intelligence is very impressive. I've seen other similar studies or shows on the subject.

I've eaten octopus. I wasn't a fan, but I'm sure if you drowned the taste in garlic butter similar to snails it would be fine (seems to defeat the purpose to me). I regularly eat the extra tentacled fried calamari though :!!)