Exploring Octopus Intelligence: Are They Smart?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary, Fowler's Modern English Usage states that "the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses," and that octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I *heart* Octopi!

You think cats are curious?!?

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=are-octopuses-smart"found and turned a knob...just for fun. Just goofing around. Pulled a plug, and caused a flood.

From the article :

Octopuses simply take things apart. I recall reading about someone who had built a robot submarine to putter around in a large aquarium tank. The octopus got a hold of it and took it apart piece by piece. There's a famous story from the Brighton Aquarium in England 100 years ago that an octopus there got out of its tank at night when no one was watching, went to the tank next door and ate one of the lumpfish and went back to his own tank and was sitting there the next morning. The aquarium lost several lumpfish before they figured out who was responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I read about the one that flooded the tank. I guess they get bored easily. :tongue2:

I've always sort of wanted an octopus for a pet, but I figured that in our climate it would freeze its tentacles off when I took it for a walk.

Danger said:
I've always sort of wanted an octopus for a pet, but I figured that in our climate it would freeze its tentacles off when I took it for a walk.

Only if you don't dress it properly for the weather.

Unfortunately, my knitting abilities aren't up to the task of making an eight-armed sweater.

Yea, they are all cute, till you have one stuck to your face.

They are very intelligent, as far as I remember they can solve problems dogs can't.

Not too hard to be clever with 9 brains. I have a cuddly toy octopus. I'm fond of them too.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4182/1000094.jpg

He lives in my bed with kermit the frog.

I just find them having a beak uneasy...

Kurdt said:
Not too hard to be clever with 9 brains. I have a cuddly toy octopus. I'm fond of them too.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4182/1000094.jpg

He lives in my bed with kermit the frog.
Ah Kurdt, you old softy!

Have you noticed Kurdt's octopus is red and shiny?

Danger said:
Unfortunately, my knitting abilities aren't up to the task of making an eight-armed sweater.

Or wetsuit.

Borek said:
Have you noticed Kurdt's octopus is red and shiny?

:rofl:

Hope it doesn't keep you awake at night, Kurdt!

That's Wikipedia, Not really convincing as thrustful resource or?

I *heart* Octopi!

Me too, calamari is G-R-R-R-REAT!

Octopus.jpg

That burst of bubbles is a underwater SCREAM. Yes, the mean octi was wrapped up in my hands and refused to let go.

The octopus takes Hypatia for his bride!

Tom Mattson said:
Me too, calamari is G-R-R-R-REAT!

Calamari is squid, Italians generally don't eat octopus. We like good food.

Koreans like Octopus, dried. When I was there small dried ones were hanging in all the mom & pop shops. I tried it once. It was like trying to eat a fish flavored tire. I have tried it on Sushi but it's still like eating rubber.

"Fowler's Modern English Usage states that "the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses," and that octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic." lol

Last edited:

hypatia said:
That burst of bubbles is a underwater SCREAM. Yes, the mean octi was wrapped up in my hands and refused to let go.
Wow! How long did you struggle with it? Were you far from the surface? My first thought would be, if I can't get it off, to take it into air.

Those fellas are strong for being so small. How did you end up with it on your hands?

About 120 feet down, and it all happened really quickly. I was fanning sand/silt away with my hands and he just sort of lunged at me. I really did not even see him, until it was too late. The person taking the photo came to my aid, after he realized I was about to panic. Even with 2 of us, it was hard to keep him off.

I indeed like octopuses very much :approve:

16533055_be39d13660.jpg

hypatia said:
Octopus.jpg

Hypatia, you're my hero, or heroine.

You'd think more people would keep them for pets, though I don't think they live all that long. Does anybody know?

hypatia said:
About 120 feet down, and it all happened really quickly. I was fanning sand/silt away with my hands and he just sort of lunged at me. I really did not even see him, until it was too late. The person taking the photo came to my aid, after he realized I was about to panic. Even with 2 of us, it was hard to keep him off.
At that depth, (considering dive-time at pressure), it would have been a really bad time to panic and surface. Glad you're still here with us. I have a friend who wreck-dives off the coast of Maine, where currents can be strong, the waters are notoriously murky and disorientation is a real danger. Stu is a trooper, and he brings my Dad Atlantic fresh scallops from time to time, but he is a risk-taker, like his own father, who owned the only Aston-Martin in the state at the time and scared the crap out of everybody who didn't wish him ill.

Wow, hypatia...that's really amazing! Congrats at keeping your wits about you.

And holy cow, that's a lot of light for 120' - here in the Seattle area, you'd be in nearly complete darkness at 120' on an average day. Did you have a spotlight with you? The water is crystal clear! Where was that, to have such fantastic visibility?

And who the heck says 'octopodes,' seriously?!? I'm sticking with octopi...an all-around much better word :tongue2:.

hypatia said:

Maybe you taste like lumpfish.

Octopii have taste buds in their suction cups.

I've never eaten lumpfish.

They look a bit like peeps.

GD7981353@TOKYO---JULY-09--Ball-1781.jpg

You weren't eating marshmallows before you took your dive were you?

Those look like Greg's avatar!

Redbelly98 said:
You'd think more people would keep them for pets, though I don't think they live all that long. Does anybody know?

not sure how long they live, but people do keep them for pets, including the deadly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ringed_octopus" it's actually not a bad choice since it's tropical and doesn't get big. but god help you if you get bit. personally, i wouldn't mind trying it some day, but not without spending a bunch of forethought on keeping him boxed in.

as for plurals, i prefer octopi. octopuses is a horrid word. i could maybe be OK with octopods.

Wow, hypatia. Great photo and all, but man-oh-man. Scary! You did well making it back to tell the tale. Phew.

lisab said:
Wow, hypatia...that's really amazing! Congrats at keeping your wits about you.

And holy cow, that's a lot of light for 120' - here in the Seattle area, you'd be in nearly complete darkness at 120' on an average day. Did you have a spotlight with you? The water is crystal clear! Where was that, to have such fantastic visibility?

And who the heck says 'octopodes,' seriously?!? I'm sticking with octopi...an all-around much better word :tongue2:.

Yes their were several platform lights mounted at different stages of depth/decompression. With a very slow current, the photo ops were good. Cabo San Lucas, between Lover's Beach and Pelican Rock, I don't recall the name of the dive company.

hypatia said:
Octopus.jpg

I have those exact same fins :approve:. I can only imagine how hard it is to keep your wits in that situaiton at that depth.

An octopus' (hah, singular possessive) intelligence is very impressive. I've seen other similar studies or shows on the subject.

I've eaten octopus. I wasn't a fan, but I'm sure if you drowned the taste in garlic butter similar to snails it would be fine (seems to defeat the purpose to me). I regularly eat the extra tentacled fried calamari though :!)

1. How do octopuses demonstrate intelligence?

Octopuses demonstrate intelligence in a variety of ways, including problem-solving abilities, tool use, and complex communication. They have also been observed using camouflage and mimicry to avoid predators.

2. Are octopuses considered intelligent compared to other animals?

Yes, octopuses are considered to be highly intelligent compared to other animals. They have a large and complex brain, and their behavior and problem-solving abilities have been compared to that of vertebrates like birds and mammals.

3. How do octopuses learn and retain information?

Octopuses learn through observation, trial and error, and experience. They have been shown to have long-term memory and can retain information for extended periods of time. They also have the ability to adapt and learn from new situations.

4. Can octopuses solve puzzles?

Yes, octopuses have been observed solving puzzles and completing complex tasks in laboratory settings. They have also been observed using tools to obtain food, indicating problem-solving abilities.

5. How can studying octopus intelligence benefit us?

Studying octopus intelligence can provide insights into the evolution of intelligence and the diversity of cognitive abilities in animals. It can also lead to advancements in fields such as artificial intelligence and robotics, as researchers look to nature for inspiration in creating intelligent machines.