I hope this is not too controversial.The more I learn about math and

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the author argues that there are many more productive things a person could do instead of going to pray, and that religions are not progressive.
ehrenfest
I hope this is not too controversial.

The more I learn about math and physics and the more time I spend in math and physics classes, the more religions seem so so wrong. The number of people around the world that go regularly to worship a deity is just astonishing to me. If you start applying the critical thinking techniques that you learn in math and physics courses to things like religion, it is really not hard to see why being religious makes no sense.

Maybe historically when there were so many unexplained physical phenomena, it might have made sense to use religion to explain them. But today, when you really have to delve deep to find something that is not explained, there is just nothing a religious system has to offer except maybe comfort about dying but that is really something we should be able to handle ourselves.

There are so many productive things a person could do instead of going to pray such as write a textbook, read a textbook, exercise, do homework, plant a tree. Unlike math and physics, religions are hardly progressive. Every year, people go to religious services and sing exactly the same songs and read exactly the same literature over and over again. That totally defies the spirit science and math which is always moving forward and making new discoveries and optimizing itself.

Sure there are lots of good things that religions do such as helping poor people. But at least some of their motivation comes their scripture telling them to do that. An organization devoted only to helping poor people only would be much more efficient and productive.

Of course, I respect people who are religious, I just think they are making a very irrational decision especially if they are also mathematicians or physicists.

Obviously I cannot prove that being religious is "bad", I can only give arguments why I think so. The point of this thread is to see whether other people in math and physics have come to the same conclusions I have. I think that there is really no point in arguing at length about this topic since this is not like a math problem. Basically, I came to the conclusions above from a lot of experience such as sitting in math courses and reading math books. I am wondering if that same experience has had the same effect on other people.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
I hope this is not too controversial.

Ha! :)

Maybe historically when there were so many unexplained physical phenomena, it might have made sense to use religion to explain them. But today, when you really have to delve deep to find something that is not explained, there is just nothing a religious system has to offer except maybe comfort about dying but that is really something we should be able to handle ourselves.

The universe is an unexplained physical phenomenon.

Phlogistonian said:
The universe is an unexplained physical phenomenon.

I don't think that's a meaningful statement. What I meant was that historically people saw bright lights in the sky at night and had no idea what they were. Every year there were four seasons and no one knew why. Now we do.

Phlogistonian said:
Ha! :)

Why is that funny?

ehrenfest said:
I don't think that's a meaningful statement. What I meant was that historically people saw bright lights in the sky at night and had no idea what they were. Every year there were four seasons and no one knew why. Now we do.

Of course it's meaningful. The origin of the universe is unexplained. (If you think it came from a multiverse, then the origin of the multiverse is unexplained.) You know the laws of physics, but that doesn't prove you know where the laws of physics came from.

ehrenfest said:
Why is that funny?

You're contradicting the strongly held beliefs of the majority of the world, and you hope it's not too controversial. ;)

Given the recent pattern of responses to topics about religion, I'm afraid this one isn't likely to turn out any better, so I'm locking it.

Well the topic - criticism of religion and peoples beliefs is controversial. That's why PF has a policy of no discussions on religious beliefs - because people will going on arguing.

ehrenfest said:
There are so many productive things a person could do instead of going to pray such as write a textbook, read a textbook, exercise, do homework, plant a tree. Unlike math and physics, religions are hardly progressive. Every year, people go to religious services and sing exactly the same songs and read exactly the same literature over and over again. That totally defies the spirit science and math which is always moving forward and making new discoveries and optimizing itself.
Is this criticism based on personal experience observing various religious groups? It sounds nothing like many religious folks I know.

. . . . Basically, I came to the conclusions above from a lot of experience such as sitting in math courses and reading math books. I am wondering if that same experience has had the same effect on other people.
Has one spent a similar amount of time with various religious groups?

1. What is the importance of math in our daily lives?

Math is used in almost every aspect of our daily lives, from calculating our expenses and budgeting to measuring time and distance. It helps us make logical decisions and solve problems efficiently. Math is also the foundation of many other subjects, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How does math contribute to scientific research?

Math is essential in scientific research as it allows scientists to analyze data and make accurate predictions. It provides a common language for scientists to communicate and share their findings. Many scientific theories and models are based on mathematical equations and formulas.

3. Is math a difficult subject to learn?

Like any other subject, math can be challenging for some and easier for others. It requires practice and a solid understanding of basic concepts before moving on to more complex topics. With dedication and hard work, anyone can learn and excel in math.

4. How can I improve my math skills?

Improving math skills requires consistent practice and a positive attitude towards the subject. Start by reviewing basic concepts and build a strong foundation. Use resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to reinforce your understanding. Seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

5. Can math be applied to real-world problems?

Absolutely! Math is used to solve real-world problems in various industries, such as finance, engineering, and technology. It helps us understand patterns, make predictions, and make informed decisions. Many everyday problems can also be solved using basic math principles.