I hope this is the right place

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the need for practice with writing proofs, specifically for problems on the compositions of relations. The individual is struggling with writing out proofs, but has a good understanding of the concepts. They provide a proof for a specific question, but acknowledge that it may not be the best. Another individual joins in and offers advice on how to improve the proof by sticking to the definitions and providing an example of a proper proof. The conversation ends with the original individual thanking the other for their help.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I need practice on proofs.

I understand it and it makes sense completely. I don't even question the statement once I work it out in my head. I just can't write it down.

This is from the text:

Basics Concepts of Mathematics from Elias Zakon - The Trillia Group

It is an online text, so it is not homework or anything. Even though I understand it, I still hate the fact that I can't write the proof out. Most of them I can do reasonably well (in my opinion of course). I still write a proof out, but I still don't like it. I will give my proof along with the question, so you can potentially see my problem.

Problems on the Compositions of Relations

Question #8 i) (page 30)

Let T be the family of all one-to-one maps of a set A onto itself. Prove the following:

i) If [itex]f,g \epsilon T[/itex], then [itex]f \circ g \epsilon T[/itex]

Proof:

By Definition,
[tex] f \circ g = \{x|(\exists z) z \epsilon D'_g , z \epsilon D_f \}[/tex]

Note: [itex]\{x,z} \epsilon A[/itex]

This implies that f is creating a variable that is in A and g is taking that variable and creating another (equal or not is irrelevant) variable that is in A.

Since, we are starting with a variable in A and ending with a variable in A, [itex]f \circ g[/itex] satisfies the needs to be an element in T.

*They mention T is a group, which I know nothing about. It is irrelevant to the question.

Note: I know this is a bad proof because it barely clearly states anything. Because I'm learning on my own and because the book doesn't supply enough proofs or any answers to questions, I'm very rusty in this area. My definition for the composition is probably wrong on top of that.

Any help?

I'd post more questions, but let's just start with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
The main thing you have to do is prove two things:
Assuming f and g are
1. maps from A to A
2. 1-1

prove
1. f o g is a map from A to A
2. f o g is 1-1.

It seems to me that you've only mentioned #1 but the main requirement to be in T is that the function is 1-1. What this whole thing boils down to is the following statement:
the composition of 1-1 functions is 1-1.

Remember that h is 1-1 if h(x)=h(y) implies x=y.

Now try to prove that fog is 1-1 with the assumption that f and g are.

"This implies that f is creating a variable that is in A and g is taking that variable and creating another (equal or not is irrelevant) variable that is in A."

This isn't maths.

Just stick to the definition of 1-1, or injection.

matt grime said:
"This implies that f is creating a variable that is in A and g is taking that variable and creating another (equal or not is irrelevant) variable that is in A."

This isn't maths.

Just stick to the definition of 1-1, or injection.

Not familiar in injection.

I'll show that f * g is one-to-one and that it map A onto A.

*I won't be using latex for this. D_f is the domain of f. D'_f is the range of f. (e) will stand for element of.

PROOF:

Because f,g(e)T, we know that D_g=A=D'_g. Since, D'_g is the domain of f in this case, we have D'_g=D_f=A. Since f is one-to-one and f maps A onto A, so we know that D_f=A=D'_f.

Now, f * g is one-to-one.

Let x(e)D_g and that g(x)=y. Because g is in T, by definition of T x,y(e)A. Since A=D_f, then y(e)D_f where f(y)=z.

Note: f(y)=f(g(x))=z

Because f and g are one-to-one, we know that g(x)=y and if g(x)=p, than p=y. The same thing applies to f.

f(g(x))=z and if f(g(x))=a, than a=z. If not, we have a contradiction that one of the functions is not one-to-one. It is either g(x)=y and g(x)=p and/or f(y)=a and f(y)=z. By definition, if we have f(y)=a and f(y)=z, than a=z.

Therefore, f(g(x))=z and f(g(x))=a, we have a=z.

Note: You can complain that it is not math. That isn't going to help since that is what I am asking for. The text does not give any solutions. If I had a prof, that would be great since he would atleast give some examples. In the text, it also recommends that the prof do many examples so that "new" people can learn how to write proofs in this style.

Last edited:
I was referring to you saying "creates an element of" which is an odd phrase to use.

An injection is a 1-1 function, they are synonyms, though you appear not to have the correct definition for it, judging by what you've written, which ought to read:

If fg(x)=fg(y), then g(x)=g(y) since f is an injection, and thuis x=y as g is an injection. end of proof.

the fact that if g(x)=p and g(y)=p implies p=y is part of the definition of a function. You have things backwards.

Last edited:
I got it earlier.

Thanks for the help.

What does "I hope this is the right place" mean?

"I hope this is the right place" is a phrase commonly used when someone is unsure if they have arrived at the correct location or if they are doing something correctly. It expresses a sense of uncertainty and a desire for confirmation.

Why is it important to be in the right place?

Being in the right place is important because it ensures that you are in the appropriate location or situation to achieve your goals or complete a task successfully. Being in the wrong place can lead to wasted time, resources, and potentially negative consequences.

What factors determine if a place is the right one?

The factors that determine if a place is the right one vary depending on the context. It could include factors such as location, resources available, suitability for a specific task or activity, and the individual's personal preferences and needs.

How can one ensure they are in the right place?

To ensure that you are in the right place, it is important to research and plan ahead of time. This could include obtaining directions, checking maps or GPS, and confirming with others who have been to the location before. Additionally, asking for assistance or clarification from someone who is familiar with the place can also help ensure you are in the right place.

What should one do if they are not in the right place?

If you realize that you are not in the right place, it is important to evaluate the situation and determine the next best course of action. This could include reevaluating your goals and determining if the current location is still suitable, seeking assistance or guidance from others, or making necessary adjustments to get to the right place.