I in choosing a university

• Schools
  • Thread starter kridmin
  • Start date
kridmin
So I currently am in the last year of high school(in India). I have decided to do a double major in Physics and Computer Science. Now the problem is that in my country there aren't many good universities/colleges that offer a double major especially in the field of sciences or the combination I have chosen. I have found this course (https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=GF43) which is good but the problem here is that it costs £26,000 per annum for international students(Which is a lot by Indian standards). And this is just the tution fees. I have other things like living costs, and stuff. So my question is 'Is there any good university/college where I can get quality education in the field I am interested in for lesser price or a scholarship?' And yes I checked for a scholarship program and there is none, not for international students. Also I want places where I can get in fairly easily and not something like MIT or something.

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Here's the problem. There are approximately 10 bezillion Indian students who think that they want to go overseas for education and that somebody else should pay for it. There simply isn't enough money for this for everyone who wants to do it. That means that no matter what this is going to be competitive.

kridmin
Here's the problem. There are approximately 10 bezillion Indian students who think that they want to go overseas for education and that somebody else should pay for it. There simply isn't enough money for this for everyone who wants to do it. That means that no matter what this is going to be competitive.
I have no problem paying for my education. I was just want to know if there are any other universities which have lower fees?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Lower fees than MIT? Pretty much everybody.
Easier to get into than MIT? Again, pretty much everybody.

alan2
I’m confused. You said you want lower fees but have no problem paying. Seems contradictory. By the way, University of Edinburgh is not easy to get into.

CrysPhys
Education Advisor
So I currently am in the last year of high school(in India). I have decided to do a double major in Physics and Computer Science. Now the problem is that in my country there aren't many good universities/colleges that offer a double major especially in the field of sciences or the combination I have chosen. I have found this course (https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=GF43) which is good but the problem here is that it costs £26,000 per annum for international students(Which is a lot by Indian standards). And this is just the tution fees. I have other things like living costs, and stuff. So my question is 'Is there any good university/college where I can get quality education in the field I am interested in for lesser price or a scholarship?' And yes I checked for a scholarship program and there is none, not for international students. Also I want places where I can get in fairly easily and not something like MIT or something.
£26,000 comes out to ~US$34,000. I did two spot checks of state universities in the US that have strong programs in physics and computer science (you can create your own double major if you wish; they don't offer an official combined program as does Edinburgh). For just tuition and fees, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign would cost you ~US$44,000, and University of Michigan at Ann-Arbor would cost you ~US$49,000.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
£26,000 comes out to ~US$34,000. I did two spot checks of state universities in the US that have strong programs in physics and computer science (you can create your own double major if you wish; they don't offer an official combined program as does Edinburgh). For just tuition and fees, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign would cost you ~US$44,000, and University of Michigan at Ann-Arbor would cost you ~US$49,000.

American universities have long had extremely high tuition and fees, whereas Canadian universities tend to be much less expensive even when taking into account fees for international students.

kridmin
I’m confused. You said you want lower fees but have no problem paying. Seems contradictory. By the way, University of Edinburgh is not easy to get into.
I just didn't wanted to end up paying more than regular international students. The university I mentioned had a huge difference in the fees of international and local student but now I think this is common.

Suggested for: I in choosing a university

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post