I in choosing a university

• Schools
  • Thread starter kridmin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, there are many universities which offer good education for less money than the £26,000 per year quoted by the original poster.
kridmin
So I currently am in the last year of high school(in India). I have decided to do a double major in Physics and Computer Science. Now the problem is that in my country there aren't many good universities/colleges that offer a double major especially in the field of sciences or the combination I have chosen. I have found this course (https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=GF43) which is good but the problem here is that it costs £26,000 per annum for international students(Which is a lot by Indian standards). And this is just the tution fees. I have other things like living costs, and stuff. So my question is 'Is there any good university/college where I can get quality education in the field I am interested in for lesser price or a scholarship?' And yes I checked for a scholarship program and there is none, not for international students. Also I want places where I can get in fairly easily and not something like MIT or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the problem. There are approximately 10 bezillion Indian students who think that they want to go overseas for education and that somebody else should pay for it. There simply isn't enough money for this for everyone who wants to do it. That means that no matter what this is going to be competitive.

Likes bhobba
Vanadium 50 said:
Here's the problem. There are approximately 10 bezillion Indian students who think that they want to go overseas for education and that somebody else should pay for it. There simply isn't enough money for this for everyone who wants to do it. That means that no matter what this is going to be competitive.
I have no problem paying for my education. I was just want to know if there are any other universities which have lower fees?

Lower fees than MIT? Pretty much everybody.
Easier to get into than MIT? Again, pretty much everybody.

I’m confused. You said you want lower fees but have no problem paying. Seems contradictory. By the way, University of Edinburgh is not easy to get into.

kridmin said:
So I currently am in the last year of high school(in India). I have decided to do a double major in Physics and Computer Science. Now the problem is that in my country there aren't many good universities/colleges that offer a double major especially in the field of sciences or the combination I have chosen. I have found this course (https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=GF43) which is good but the problem here is that it costs £26,000 per annum for international students(Which is a lot by Indian standards). And this is just the tution fees. I have other things like living costs, and stuff. So my question is 'Is there any good university/college where I can get quality education in the field I am interested in for lesser price or a scholarship?' And yes I checked for a scholarship program and there is none, not for international students. Also I want places where I can get in fairly easily and not something like MIT or something.
£26,000 comes out to ~US$34,000. I did two spot checks of state universities in the US that have strong programs in physics and computer science (you can create your own double major if you wish; they don't offer an official combined program as does Edinburgh). For just tuition and fees, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign would cost you ~US$44,000, and University of Michigan at Ann-Arbor would cost you ~US$49,000.

CrysPhys said:
£26,000 comes out to ~US$34,000. I did two spot checks of state universities in the US that have strong programs in physics and computer science (you can create your own double major if you wish; they don't offer an official combined program as does Edinburgh). For just tuition and fees, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign would cost you ~US$44,000, and University of Michigan at Ann-Arbor would cost you ~US$49,000.

American universities have long had extremely high tuition and fees, whereas Canadian universities tend to be much less expensive even when taking into account fees for international students.

alan2 said:
I’m confused. You said you want lower fees but have no problem paying. Seems contradictory. By the way, University of Edinburgh is not easy to get into.
I just didn't wanted to end up paying more than regular international students. The university I mentioned had a huge difference in the fees of international and local student but now I think this is common.

What factors should I consider when choosing a university?

When choosing a university, it is important to consider factors such as the program offerings, location, cost, campus culture, and opportunities for internships or research experience.

How do I determine if a university is a good fit for me?

To determine if a university is a good fit for you, consider visiting the campus, talking to current students and alumni, researching the faculty and their areas of expertise, and evaluating the resources and support services available.

What are the benefits of attending a large university versus a small one?

Attending a large university may offer a wider range of program options and resources, while a smaller university may provide a more personalized learning experience and smaller class sizes.

What is the importance of accreditation when choosing a university?

Accreditation ensures that a university meets certain standards of quality in education and is recognized by employers and other institutions. It is important to choose an accredited university to ensure the value of your degree.

How can I best prepare for the transition to university life?

To prepare for the transition to university life, consider attending orientation programs, connecting with other incoming students, familiarizing yourself with campus resources, and setting academic and personal goals.