Failing Calc Midterm: Overcoming Setback & Moving Forward

In summary, a student lost four courses due to a failed midterm, and is re-taking calculus next semester. They recommend talking to your professor, re-directing frustration into determination, and trying to remember why the failed midterm happened.
Lancelot59
I just failed my last calc midterm, which likely means that I'll fail the course, or get a D. This sets me back an entire year, because I lose four courses. I'm going to try to take it again next semester. Has anyone had to deal with this sort of thing? Any tips on how to handle it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a year. Anything else you can take while 'waiting' for more math classes to become available? Liberal arts requirements, required core classes, etc.?

Well in losing Calc 1 I lose integral calculus, and in turn lose matrix algebra, physics 2, and mechanics.

So while redoing Differential calculus I'm going to do my microcontrollers class, and my java programming class, then find a fourth to give me some more to do.

Then next year I guess I can start to finish off first year.

I'm just having a hard time accepting this. I've never failed like this before.

Lancelot59 said:
I just failed my last calc midterm, which likely means that I'll fail the course, or get a D. This sets me back an entire year, because I lose four courses. I'm going to try to take it again next semester. Has anyone had to deal with this sort of thing? Any tips on how to handle it?

I would talk to your professor. Some professors will give you a few options (ex if you show a significant improvement on the final, ill drop your midterm grade) and some professors will wave you off. Either way it doesn't hurt to talk.

Also, you should determine why you got such a low score, so you do not make the same mistake.

Lancelot59 said:

Sorry to hear it. But remember, the goal here is not to get a good grade (although that's always nice), it's to *learn* the material. If you failed the midterm because you have gaps in your understanding, you don't have a lot of options...you really do need to know this material to advance in physics. Dropping and re-taking the class may be the best way to learn it.

So pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and start again. Don't feel bad, just re-direct your frustration into determination to do better.

And yes, I did have to drop a class once because it was kicking my butt. I didn't like it either, so I know how you feel.

Yeah, I'm going to re-take calculus next semester. Hopefully I can get it the second time around.

1. Why is it important to overcome a setback in failing a calculus midterm?

It is important to overcome a setback in failing a calculus midterm because it allows you to learn from your mistakes and improve your understanding of the subject. It also helps you to develop resilience and determination, which are important qualities for success in any field of science.

2. How can I move forward after failing a calculus midterm?

The first step to moving forward after failing a calculus midterm is to accept and acknowledge your failure. Then, identify the areas where you struggled and work on improving your understanding of those concepts. Seek help from your professor, classmates, or tutors. Make a study plan and stick to it. Most importantly, stay motivated and don't give up.

3. What are some strategies for studying and preparing for a calculus midterm?

Some strategies for studying and preparing for a calculus midterm include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, practicing with past exams and quizzes, seeking help from your professor or a tutor, joining a study group, and breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks.

4. How can I avoid failing a calculus midterm in the future?

To avoid failing a calculus midterm in the future, it is important to stay on top of your coursework throughout the semester. Attend all lectures and participate actively in class. Make sure to complete all assigned readings and practice problems. Seek help when needed and don't be afraid to ask questions. Avoid cramming and start studying early.

5. What are some ways to stay motivated and positive after failing a calculus midterm?

To stay motivated and positive after failing a calculus midterm, it is important to focus on the progress you have made and the improvements you have made since the midterm. Set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate small victories. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people. Remember that failure is a part of the learning process and use it as motivation to do better next time.