1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Just Failed

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    I just failed my last calc midterm, which likely means that I'll fail the course, or get a D. This sets me back an entire year, because I lose four courses. I'm gonna try to take it again next semester. Has anyone had to deal with this sort of thing? Any tips on how to handle it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2
    It's just a year. Anything else you can take while 'waiting' for more math classes to become available? Liberal arts requirements, required core classes, etc.?

4. Dec 3, 2009 #3
    Well in losing Calc 1 I lose integral calculus, and in turn lose matrix algebra, physics 2, and mechanics.

So while redoing Differential calculus I'm gonna do my microcontrollers class, and my java programming class, then find a fourth to give me some more to do.

Then next year I guess I can start to finish off first year.

I'm just having a hard time accepting this. I've never failed like this before.

5. Dec 5, 2009 #4
    I would talk to your professor. Some professors will give you a few options (ex if you show a significant improvement on the final, ill drop your midterm grade) and some professors will wave you off. Either way it doesn't hurt to talk.

Also, you should determine why you got such a low score, so you do not make the same mistake.

6. Dec 5, 2009 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear it. But remember, the goal here is not to get a good grade (although that's always nice), it's to *learn* the material. If you failed the midterm because you have gaps in your understanding, you don't have a lot of options...you really do need to know this material to advance in physics. Dropping and re-taking the class may be the best way to learn it.

So pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and start again. Don't feel bad, just re-direct your frustration into determination to do better.

And yes, I did have to drop a class once because it was kicking my butt. I didn't like it either, so I know how you feel.

7. Dec 5, 2009 #6
    Yeah, I'm gonna re-take calculus next semester. Hopefully I can get it the second time around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook