Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just love UNIX

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1
    I just started a FORTRAN 90 programming class this quarter, and we do all our work on the school's UNIX servers, and I love it. The simplicity, no dealing with all the unnecessary crap windows comes attached with.

I jsut felt like sharing.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very much share your affection ... doing stuff in Unix after spending time in Win - world is like coming home :smile: .

4. Jan 11, 2005 #3

It completely is.

It makes me miss MS-DOS. I feel old knowing that i remember using DOS.

5. Jan 11, 2005 #4

graphic7

Gold Member

UNIX is an excellent environment for any sort of programming. Makefiles, excellent shells, and UNIX compilers are very intuitive when working in a terminal environment.

Man pages are also an added incentive. There's always some documentation a command away for whatever function your curious about when programming.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  6. Jan 11, 2005 #5
    aggree, but C# .net is on its way up... (waits to be flamed!! :rofl: )

7. Jan 11, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

.NET = Windows Lock In

I prefer to work with cross platform compatible languages.

Go Python !

8. Jan 11, 2005 #7

graphic7

Gold Member

Me being a Sun junkie, I'll retaliate with a swift Java recommendation. It's funny, a few months ago I never would've thought of Java as a half-decent language. Things change, though. :approve:

9. Jan 11, 2005 #8
    Don't worry. I'll continue not thinking of it as a half-decent language for you. :smile:

10. Jan 11, 2005 #9

graphic7

Gold Member

You are referring to versions of Java <= 1.2? Yes? :tongue2:

11. Jan 12, 2005 #10
    LoL

--------------------------------------

Yeah, eunichs are lacking in attachments.

12. Jan 12, 2005 #11
    Yes, eunuchs are, but those are necessary attachments.

13. Jan 12, 2005 #12
    i resecued a Alpha with OpenVMS and a SCO unix CD set from the computer-recyclers at work :rofl:

its amazing how cool old junk (?) can be!!!! :biggrin:

graphic7: have you seen sun's new err.. windowmanager - lookingglass ? :confused:
    ummm here

14. Jan 12, 2005 #13

graphic7

Gold Member

I haven't heard of Looking Glass, but it looks fairly interesting. Right now I'm between JDS (Sun's souped up Gnome2) and CDE. I've been trying to find a love for Gnome2 because I think within the release (or couple of releases) after Solaris 10, they'll be discontinuing CDE support. It's hard to part with it, though.

15. Jan 12, 2005 #14
    franznietzsche :

I just love UNIX

I just started a FORTRAN 90 programming class this quarter, and we do all our work on the school's UNIX servers, and I love it. The simplicity, no dealing with all the unnecessary crap windows comes attached with.

I jsut felt like sharing.

-----------------------------------
    if you say so, why not, Bill gates once loved Dos

16. Jan 13, 2005 #15
    That hurts, i don't want to be compared to
    him

17. Jan 13, 2005 #16
    If I'm not mistaken, OpenVMS is so backwards it uses 1 as default return value for succes and 0 for default return value for failure. Which is aganst POSIX, ANSI-C(unless you use EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE) and god knows what else :)

I'd really like to get my hands on a OpenVMS-system and see how portable my code really is :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?