1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just love UNIX

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1
    I just started a FORTRAN 90 programming class this quarter, and we do all our work on the school's UNIX servers, and I love it. The simplicity, no dealing with all the unnecessary crap windows comes attached with.

I jsut felt like sharing.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very much share your affection ... doing stuff in Unix after spending time in Win - world is like coming home :smile: .

4. Jan 11, 2005 #3

It completely is.

It makes me miss MS-DOS. I feel old knowing that i remember using DOS.

5. Jan 11, 2005 #4

graphic7

Gold Member

UNIX is an excellent environment for any sort of programming. Makefiles, excellent shells, and UNIX compilers are very intuitive when working in a terminal environment.

Man pages are also an added incentive. There's always some documentation a command away for whatever function your curious about when programming.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  6. Jan 11, 2005 #5
    aggree, but C# .net is on its way up... (waits to be flamed!! :rofl: )

7. Jan 11, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

.NET = Windows Lock In

I prefer to work with cross platform compatible languages.

Go Python !

8. Jan 11, 2005 #7

graphic7

Gold Member

Me being a Sun junkie, I'll retaliate with a swift Java recommendation. It's funny, a few months ago I never would've thought of Java as a half-decent language. Things change, though. :approve:

9. Jan 11, 2005 #8
    Don't worry. I'll continue not thinking of it as a half-decent language for you. :smile:

10. Jan 11, 2005 #9

graphic7

Gold Member

You are referring to versions of Java <= 1.2? Yes? :tongue2:

11. Jan 12, 2005 #10
    LoL

--------------------------------------

Yeah, eunichs are lacking in attachments.

12. Jan 12, 2005 #11
    Yes, eunuchs are, but those are necessary attachments.

13. Jan 12, 2005 #12
    i resecued a Alpha with OpenVMS and a SCO unix CD set from the computer-recyclers at work :rofl:

its amazing how cool old junk (?) can be!!!! :biggrin:

graphic7: have you seen sun's new err.. windowmanager - lookingglass ? :confused:
    ummm here

14. Jan 12, 2005 #13

graphic7

Gold Member

I haven't heard of Looking Glass, but it looks fairly interesting. Right now I'm between JDS (Sun's souped up Gnome2) and CDE. I've been trying to find a love for Gnome2 because I think within the release (or couple of releases) after Solaris 10, they'll be discontinuing CDE support. It's hard to part with it, though.

15. Jan 12, 2005 #14
    franznietzsche :

I just love UNIX

I just started a FORTRAN 90 programming class this quarter, and we do all our work on the school's UNIX servers, and I love it. The simplicity, no dealing with all the unnecessary crap windows comes attached with.

I jsut felt like sharing.

-----------------------------------
    if you say so, why not, Bill gates once loved Dos

16. Jan 13, 2005 #15
    That hurts, i don't want to be compared to
    him

17. Jan 13, 2005 #16
    If I'm not mistaken, OpenVMS is so backwards it uses 1 as default return value for succes and 0 for default return value for failure. Which is aganst POSIX, ANSI-C(unless you use EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE) and god knows what else :)

I'd really like to get my hands on a OpenVMS-system and see how portable my code really is :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?