What are the Pros and Cons of Living in Downtown Los Angeles?

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
In summary, the author moved to Los Angeles and is paranoid, excited, scared and happy. They live in a loft in the industrial district and hardly see any humans around. They also live in OC, but frequent LA because they have some friends there. They had been wondering what happened to their friend and then they met up with them at the IMAX theater. They went to Guido's for Italian and their salads were the best. They also mentioned going to a Japanese restaurant in the westwood district and another Korean restaurant in Korea town.
Entropia
I just moved to Los Angeles!

hi people.

i just moved to downtown los angeles and honestly i am kind of paranoid, excited, scared and happy...

anybody else here?

i live in a loft in the industrial district and i hardly see any humans around here.

Physics news on Phys.org
heya fellow Socaler:smile: I live down in OC, but I frequent LA because I have some friends there. Did you relo from another state, or another country?

Im origionally from Riverside!

It may only be about 60 miles away from downtown LA... but it feels like 6,000.

So different. So lonely. So... er... yeah.

*sobs*

awwws- I'm sure you'll meet people- it's LA. You can't live in LA and NOT meet people.

Why did you move there Entropia? I've been downtown LA and it didn't look too inviting to me.. :S

nahh-It's not that dangerous depending on what area you're in. And it sure beats a 2 hour drive from riverside- and that's without heavy traffic.

Originally posted by Monique
Why did you move there Entropia? I've been downtown LA and it didn't look too inviting to me.. :S

grad school.

it depends on where in downtown LA :) parts of it are gorgeous... parts of it are... erm.. not.

Originally posted by Entropia
grad school.

it depends on where in downtown LA :) parts of it are gorgeous... parts of it are... erm.. not.
Ahhh, grad school...I had been wondering what ever happened there...we haven't talked in so long.

For a fun evening, get yourself down to the the IMAX theater for a good movie! Then go have some dinner at Guido's (awesome Italian) in Malibu. Their calamari and Ceasar salads were the BEST! (Didn't it used to be in Brentwood? - anyone?) (And what was the name of the place on PCH in Santa Monica or Malibu that served those GREAT buckets of clams? YUM!)

Originally posted by Tsunami
For a fun evening, get yourself down to the the IMAX theater for a good movie! Then go have some dinner at Guido's (awesome Italian) in Malibu. Their calamari and Ceasar salads were the BEST! (Didn't it used to be in Brentwood? - anyone?) (And what was the name of the place on PCH in Santa Monica or Malibu that served those GREAT buckets of clams? YUM!)

I have heard of that place in malibu, but I can't think of the name. However there are some awesome japanese restuarants in the westwood district. Oh and across from 97.1 in korea town there's this fantastic korean place. Yummy=) But you have to be exotic- I had octopus soup:wink:

Originally posted by Zantra
But you have to be exotic- I had octopus soup:wink:
You call octopus soup exotic? What? It was still alive?

I call fish intestine soup or chicken feet/ pork feet/ cow stomach/ intestine/ pork belly, among other things I shall not name, exotic..

I once saw a show on television, in US, where teams of people have to compete against each other in a foreign country and whoever reaches the end destination first, wins.

The were in Korea and had to finish a plate of octopus... preparation? Take an octopus (alive ofcourse), take a sharp butcher knife, cut the octopus in bite size pieces, serve with a dipping souce and bon appetite!

Although cut up into tiny pieces, it was still very much alive. The tentacles were crawling off the plate and the suction cups were still working, attaching themselves to the teeth and gums of the eaters..

SMAKELIJK ETEN!

bahhh-you haven't lived until you've had balut:wink: I like exotic but not moving, thanks!

1. Where is the best place to live in Los Angeles?

The best place to live in Los Angeles depends on your personal preferences and needs. Some popular neighborhoods among newcomers include Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and Downtown LA. It's important to research the cost of living, safety, and proximity to your workplace or desired amenities before deciding on a location.

2. How do I navigate the public transportation system in Los Angeles?

Los Angeles has a complex public transportation system that includes buses, trains, and subways. The best way to navigate it is to download a transit app, such as Google Maps or Transit, which can help you plan routes and track schedules. It's also helpful to get a TAP card, which can be used to pay for all forms of public transportation in LA.

3. What is the job market like in Los Angeles?

The job market in Los Angeles is diverse and competitive. It's important to research the industry you're interested in and network with professionals in the area. Some of the top industries in LA include entertainment, technology, and healthcare. It's also helpful to have a strong resume and cover letter tailored to the job market in LA.

4. How can I meet new people and make friends in Los Angeles?

Los Angeles is a large and diverse city, making it easy to meet new people and make friends. Joining local clubs or organizations related to your interests is a great way to connect with like-minded individuals. Attending social events, such as concerts or festivals, is also a good way to meet new people. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with someone you meet in a coffee shop or at the gym.

5. What are some fun things to do in Los Angeles?

Los Angeles offers a wide range of activities for all interests and ages. Some popular attractions include the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Griffith Observatory, and Universal Studios. The city also has numerous beaches, hiking trails, and museums to explore. It's a good idea to research local events and festivals, as well as ask for recommendations from locals, to discover unique and fun things to do in LA.