Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just pulled a p-note out of my ATM

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    And boy is it a piece of work. Has the gold glitter and a nearly perfect color match. It's not laser printed, so I guess the gov can't get the serial. Seriously professional. Even the paper feels right. The only things that give it away is the lack of a plate pressure indentation and no ghost image. There's no inner strip either, but the print shows a residual image of one. It fooled me when I went to the grocery store. So, I'm a bit miffed. Went to the police station and the dispatch officer did a double take. Fortunately, he said the bank is responsible for compensating me.

I thought every note from an ATM is reliable. I'm checking every last one from now on, and I don't care what machine or who hands it to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Maybe it was a legitimate bank note - a rare misprint - that may be worth hundreds of farthings?

4. Aug 24, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

There was a rumour some time ago that English banks let some through knowingly.

5. Aug 24, 2008 #4
    I can see with simple inspection that it came off an inkjet printer.

6. Aug 24, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Probably not an authorized HM Treasury machine then, unless there is a secret cost reduction plan afoot.

7. Aug 24, 2008 #6
    Is that something that should have detected this note? I want to know what I should expect from my bank. Any bank.

8. Aug 24, 2008 #7
    Was this at an ATM outside the bank or at a store or something? If it were right next to the bank, I would have taken it right inside.

I mean now, what proof do you have that it came from an ATM and that you're not the one doing the counterfeiting?

9. Aug 24, 2008 #8
    It was an outside ATM at the bank. It's Sunday, so they're not open. I went to the police and filed a report.

Anyway, I suppose you could accuse me of being the counterfeiter, but I don't think the law will be too concerned. If there were a surge of p-notes to come, and investigators connected dots to me, then I'd of course have some explaining to do. Yet I'm not worried.

Besides, the burden of proof would be on the authorities. And I wouldn't even demand a search warrant.

10. Aug 24, 2008 #9

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I didn't mean detecting, just the printing - that they would be experimenting with ink jet printers for printing currency.

On the other hand, whatever detection is in use in the banking system there looks to have a bit of a run in its stockings. You likely would want to be vigilant. If you find more though be careful they don't begin to think you're part of it.

11. Aug 24, 2008 #10
    I'm just saying, if you go to the bank and say "I got this fake bank note from your ATM" they will just say "Prove it." and that will be that. I don't see what would make them give you the money you deserve.

12. Aug 24, 2008 #11
    Oh. Yeah, I'm hoping this is isolated. I'm not concerned about suspicions; any detectives or what would have my full cooperation. I hope that they can somehow nail this down.

I doubt they would say that. Besides, I was instructed by the dispatch officer on how to report this to the bank.

13. Aug 24, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This isn't the first thread we've had on someone getting counterfeit money out of a bank ATM. This is rather disturbing, because you'd think that the bank would be screening what they are distributing, not just letting it go right back out to customers. I think if I got a counterfeit bill from a bank ATM, and most DEFINITELY if they refused to make good on it, it would be the last day I did business with that bank. If I can't trust the bank to screen their money and give out good bills, then I'm moving my money to another bank.

14. Aug 24, 2008 #13
    I'd be suprised if the bank does anything about it. I seriously doubt they will reimburse him. I've gotten a counterfeit bill from a grocery store and I didn't catch it til later. The store refused to do anything about it, even though they found another counterfeit in their till.

15. Aug 25, 2008 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's different, though: that would mean the grocery store going out of pocket. The OP is talking about a bank. I would say that they would replace it for him.

16. Aug 25, 2008 #15
    no difference between a bank or a grocery store. to replace the bill either one has to go out of pocket.

17. Aug 25, 2008 #16
    I can't believe a counterfeit bill made it through an ATM. There are 5 or more safety features that check to make sure it doesn't happen. If the bill is good enough to fool an ATM I can't believe you caught it. If it can fool an ATM go stick it in some machine and let the next guy worry about it.

18. Aug 25, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The difference is that we don't necessarily expect the kid behind the register in a grocery store to be an expert on counterfeit detection, and the money handed to them gets handed right back out (if you catch it as they hand it to you, though, and refuse to accept it, then they are the one on the hook for it). I DO expect the bank to know money and be vigilant about detecting fake bills...that's part of their business. So, if the bank doesn't make good on it, then it's their reputation that's shot, especially if they're the ones distributing counterfeits.

I don't think ATMs actually check the money, they just count out the bills they are filled with. If you deposit money, it goes in an envelope kept separate from what's being paid out.

19. Aug 25, 2008 #18
    no, the atm checks several different things to make sure it gives you the correct amount. I've got a Scientific American article around here somewhere, it talks about how the atm checks things like paper thickness. I'll look for it.

20. Aug 25, 2008 #19

wolram

Gold Member

21. Aug 25, 2008 #20

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The bank will pay out. The ATM is a service convenience for them as much as for you. Pay a machine or pay a teller? Machine every time. And if they eat a few bad bills, they want people to be happy with their use. The last thing they want is people coming in to use tellers again.

There is recourse of course, because in the unlikely event they refuse you can charge them with fraud in supplying you with fake currency and debiting your account. You are still the wronged party. And I doubt they would want the notoriety being sued in court would bring. (I'd file in small claims court and send letters to the local newspapers about your filing and court date, with copies of the letters to the bank along with their summons to appear. That would get the attention of a VP and they would settle the matter in a flash. All that bad publicity over a bad P-note? Not likely.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?