Surviving Freshman Hunt: Tips from a Junior Friend

• Thread starter Piscuit
  • Start date
In summary, as a freshman, it is important to prioritize academics while still making time for social activities. This can be achieved by setting aside dedicated study time, avoiding procrastination, and finding a balance between social events and self-care. To make friends and find your community in college, get involved in extracurricular activities and clubs. Effective time management is crucial for success, which can be achieved by using a planner, breaking down tasks, and seeking help when needed. Homesickness is normal, but staying connected with loved ones and getting involved in campus activities can help cope with it. To avoid burnout, take breaks, practice self-care, and set realistic goals. Do not hesitate to ask for support from friends, family, or campus
Awesome, that happens to be one of the subjects on which I watch documentaries most avidly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Piscuit said:
Awesome, that happens to be one of the subjects on which I watch documentaries most avidly.

There are some truly wonderful people investing time "up there" in Astrophysics.

and I think Mr. *Is jealous* is one of them. :)

nice. Thats awesome.

I never would have guessed either of you to be under 16 years old. You act very mature for your age! Which is defantly awesome :biggrin:

Piscuit said:

What are some of the documentaries you watch?

Stuff on the science channel, like, "hubble space telescope." that's just one of them, I can't remember the titles of the rest of them. Except for Engineering an Empire on the History International channel.

One of these days I'll get cable. I would love to watch the science channel. Sometimes friends record programs for me so I make do with that for now.

It's awesome, I love watching documentaries, except for about once every 2 months when I hear about some crazy mathematical or scientific conundrum, and have a mental breakdown. That might have something to do with my confusing personal life and the unfair social hierarchy known as middle school.

Middle school is a weird stage of life. At least it was in my experience. Everyone breaks into groups and the groups quickly become stratified. Friends that you had in 5th grade are suddenly no longer your friends because they are part of a different social circle. Any person that has a shred of meanness in them seems to have it cultivated and honed in those years.

Well I'm lucky, I seem to be able to run from group to group, talk to people for 5 minutes and then leave. EVERY GROUP, even the irritating preppy girls. I'm so glad I found this site, its the only place where I can make my voice heard in an intelligent conversation.

Piscuit said:
Well I'm lucky, I seem to be able to run from group to group, talk to people for 5 minutes and then leave. EVERY GROUP, even the irritating preppy girls. I'm so glad I found this site, its the only place where I can make my voice heard in an intelligent conversation.
Settle in here and enjoy. There is a pretty broad range of people here, and most are laid-back and tolerant. Every Sunday at around 10:00 Central time, Greg fires up the PF chat function, so you can log in and get to know people a little better in real-time. Every Sunday (most, at least) around 4:00 Central time, Greg shows up again and everybody says "Noooooo" because chat is going to be closed. It's fun.

https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/flashchat.php

We don't allow homework questions or serious inquiries about sciences/math to be addressed on chat because chat history is not saved and the material is unavailable to future PF members or those who are not logged into chat. You can talk about politics on chat as long as Evo isn't logged in. Evo does not like political banter. She's OK, but she's been a bit off since someone dropped a house on her sister. :devil::uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wait until the high school freshman hunt (I'm so glad that I go to online school).

turbo-1 said:
You can talk about politics on chat as long as Evo isn't logged in. Evo does not like political banter. She's OK, but she's been a bit off since someone dropped a house on her sister. :devil::uhh:
:grumpy:

Math Jeans said:
Just wait until the high school freshman hunt (I'm so glad that I go to online school).
Is this an online school for geniuses?

Math Jeans said:

What's a high school freshman hunt?

cristo said:
What's a high school freshman hunt?
Have you ever seen the movie: Dazed and Confused?

Winzer said:
Have you ever seen the movie: Dazed and Confused?

Nope.

Evo said:
Is this an online school for geniuses?

Not really. It doesn't need to be a school for geniuses to have the ability to jump courses. But, it is based in Stanford, so its got universty courses as well.

A freshman hunt is where all the older students chase the freshman around on their first day and play cruel pranks on them, I'm lucky that a lot of my friends are juniors.